Are funds for children with special needs being cut in Sheffield?

The way I took this is that children with current statements 'should' have their hours of support provided by the school through the delegated budget - but then the rest of the SEN budget (worked out on a formula based on free school meals, level of deprivation in community etc not actual SEN needs within the school) is split between the rest of the SEN children, regardless of their category of need (ie their specific needs eg dyslexia, ADHD, Autism etc). It will be up to parents to check if their children are receiving their entitlement of support as the LEA arent doing anything to check up on this and some schools may not play fair according the SEN code of practice and law etc.

SEN section are now very willing to give out statements as it is down to the schools to fund the actual support from this new budget.

The whole change in process is currently a farce as it was fast tracked, otherwise the LEA would have had to wait another 3 years to make these fantastic, money saving changes.

The way I took this is that children with current statements 'should' have their hours of support provided by the school through the delegated budget - but then the rest of the SEN budget (worked out on a formula based on free school meals, level of deprivation in community etc not actual SEN needs within the school) is split between the rest of the SEN children, regardless of their category of need (ie their specific needs eg dyslexia, ADHD, Autism etc). It will be up to parents to check if their children are receiving their entitlement of support as the LEA arent doing anything to check up on this and some schools may not play fair according the SEN code of practice and law etc.

SEN section are now very willing to give out statements as it is down to the schools to fund the actual support from this new budget.

The whole change in process is currently a farce as it was fast tracked, otherwise the LEA would have had to wait another 3 years to make these fantastic, money saving changes.

But as I understood it they will only get a max of 3 terms of support if they have a statement.That is for their lifetime at school.Is this not correct?

2 points;

1) Why has there been no serious press coverage of this? It affects far more children than Wisewood/Myers merger, ie all of them. Letters to the Star anybody?

2) How come Sheffield forum seems to be the best source of information on this? No disrespect to the excellent forum, but shouldn't parents have had all the relevent information properly explained to them in?

Forgive me for thinking there's a lot they'd rather you didn't know...

2 points;

1) Why has there been no serious press coverage of this? It affects far more children than Wisewood/Myers merger, ie all of them. Letters to the Star anybody?

2) How come Sheffield forum seems to be the best source of information on this? No disrespect to the excellent forum, but shouldn't parents have had all the relevent information properly explained to them in?

It has been kept quiet for obvious reasons.Even some teachers dont know or know just bits as the LEA has tried to keep it quiet to avoid the controversy.However there were protests about a month ago and we were promised that they would let us know what was happening and that parents would be consulted .

As far as I know this hasn't happened or if it has they have not changed much about what has been proposed.

The Forum is a good place as we are out there and we know as we have kids on the spectrum. I have a link with someone who is part of SAPAG and SAS so they have their finger on the buttons so to speak!

If your child does receive a statement of SEN then it is initially for a year. Just before the year is up the SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator)should call an Annual Review which is a meeting that involves everyone that supports/has input into the child and their situation. Progress over the year and next steps are discussed at this meeting and it is decided whether the group feels the statement should be continued or not.

From this meeting the SENCO completes the annual review form and submits it to the LEA within 10 working days, with all the minutes from the meeting and recommendations about continuing, changing or altering any part of the support or the statement itself.

The LEA then decide whether or not to continue the statement. They have to take on board what is put on the annual review forms as obviously they cannot meet and digest every child's case in the city with SEN.

As parents you should have lots of input into this process and ultimately the final decision - it is your child. If the statement request is turned down at any point you have the right to appeal against this. There is a support group in Sheffield to help parents with this.

If your child does receive a statement of SEN then it is initially for a year. Just before the year is up the SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator)should call an Annual Review which is a meeting that involves everyone that supports/has input into the child and their situation. Progress over the year and next steps are discussed at this meeting and it is decided whether the group feels the statement should be continued or not.

From this meeting the SENCO completes the annual review form and submits it to the LEA within 10 working days, with all the minutes from the meeting and recommendations about continuing, changing or altering any part of the support or the statement itself.

The LEA then decide whether or not to continue the statement. They have to take on board what is put on the annual review forms as obviously they cannot meet and digest every child's case in the city with SEN.

As parents you should have lots of input into this process and ultimately the final decision - it is your child. If the statement request is turned down at any point you have the right to appeal against this. There is a support group in Sheffield to help parents with this.

Can you tell me what this support group is and can we have their contact details as this will affect so many people.

Can any teachers or headteachers out there shed any light on what is happening with special needs provision in schools from September?

I have heard that there is to be some changes that will mean kids with a statement at the moment will be affected .I want to get an explanation but I would like someone to explain it properly please, if you know the facts.

Thanks

when i went to my sons anual review in january he has aspergers and gets 15 hours a week paid for support they expalined that the way funds were provided were changing but it would not affect he needs in school. the statement is a legal document wheich cannot be taken away but the funding part can vbe altered. he will still get the support that he needs in school but he hasd not had the intense support that he did in primary school but so far for the past 2 years he has done well and the school are really good

when i went to my sons anual review in january he has aspergers and gets 15 hours a week paid for support they expalined that the way funds were provided were changing but it would not affect he needs in school. the statement is a legal document wheich cannot be taken away but the funding part can vbe altered. he will still get the support that he needs in school but he hasd not had the intense support that he did in primary school but so far for the past 2 years he has done well and the school are really good

They can and are spreading the money out and,as we understand this when someone has had 3 terms of support, i.e. 1 full year, then it can be taken away

2 points;

There has been 2 letters to The Star about this