The Red Lion Book Club (thread#3)

I actually finished it with some time to spare! It was a long time since I'd read it before, looking forward to hearing what everyone else thought.

I finished it before the last meet!

It was a good discussion on 1984 tonight, I thought.

The next meeting will be on 20 July to talk about A Quiet Belief In Angels by R J Ellory.

And the August book will be Purge by Sofi Oksanen.

The next meeting will be on Wednesday 24 August to talk about Purge by Sofi Oksanen.

The September book will be Starting Over by Tony Parsons.

Apologies, but I won't be able to make it tonight.

I hope it is a good meeting, and I'd be interested to know what you thought of Purge.

A good discussion on Purge; think the consensus was along the lines of grim-but-worthwhile! And we had a new member, too :)

Next meeting will be Wednesday, September 28, when the book will be Starting Over by Tony Parsons.

October's book will be Sunset Park by Paul Auster

Sadly, I won't be able to make next week's meeting. I look forward to seeing you all again in October.

H

Hello. I was the newbie at book club last month. Just to let you know that unfortunately I can't make it tomorrow night. I'll look out for the October date on the forum. See you then! Thanks

N

The date for Sunset Park will be 19th October.

Hello everyone! I'm making one of my very infrequent postings The book for our next meeting is Samuel Pepys' diary. I have bought the Penguin edition(abridged version) but I'm sure it won't make a massive difference. I will post exactly which pages later on this week when I get my book. I'm afraid that the book was a bit more expensive than what I expected, about £10. The meeting will be on Wednesday 19/10 19.30 at the Red Lion, Charles Street. Newcomers are always welcome.

Just to clarify, the meeting on 19 Oct will discuss Sunset Park. Samuel Pepys is our November book.

Sorry for any confusion in terms of which book we are reading at our next meeting. Pb63 is quite right. For Samuel Pepys' diary (for the November meeting) I would propose reading the diary entries for January 1665-December 1665. It is about 250 pages and includes some very interesting historical events such as the great fire of London and the plague. We could always change it if anyone has other suggestions. See you all on Wednesday. I will be a bit late as it is my late day at work, but I will definitely be there.