The Red Lion Book Club (thread#3)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Just to let you know that I'll be coming to our meeting on the 17/2. (I'd better since I chose the book!) I'm sorry I missed the January meet. I really liked the book and it was nice to read something that was set in Sweden, but the translation annoyed me at times.

See you next Wednesday!

I abandoned the Land of Green Plums after 110 pages. Life being too short and all that. Still think I have read enough to give a view. Be good to see you GT, I suspect we will have a mini discussion of Let the Right One In (which will be Maels' and my third discussion of that one!)

Hi Readers,

I really enjoyed last night's meeting, even though the book was slated. Personally, I'm prepared to give it a second chance.

Next month, in a break from the norm, we are meeting on a Thursday. So, on Thursday 25th March we will be discussing 'Superfreakonomics' by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner.

The book for April will be 'Night Train to Lisbon' by Pascal Mercier - the phenomenal international bestseller, described as "a treat for the mind".

ps Newcomers are always very welcome and no English Lit degree is required.

Hi,

I'm new to Sheffield and am interested in attending March's meeting.

I've gathered from the above post that it's being held on Thursday 25th March (at the Red lion of course), but would anyone be able to tell me at what time?

I've seen 7:30 pm on a couple of posts for previous meetings; is that the standard time for all meetings?

Hi Pipp and M E Bowes,

It will be good to have a few new faces at the meetings. Our core group has dwindled to about 4 recently so there is plenty of space for newcomers. According to GlobeTrotter we once had 18 members turn up, but she had quite a lot of wine that evening and may have counted everyone twice!

Also if you have any opinions on some of our previous books, or suggestions for the future, then please feel free to share them at the meeting.