Sakushi restaurant - your opinions...

I was in the Yo Sushi at Victoria Station on Tuesday, and it was rubbish. The gyoza were burnt crispy, tea was cold, and service was exceptionally poor, even though there was hardly anybody in.

Teriyaki salmon was nice, everything else we had was poor or worse. Wouldn't darken their doors again.

hey, im going yo sushi on sunday, in bristol, ill give my report

ade65, you been to sakushi? the gyoza are very very good there.

try it and let me know what you think!

Hi grub lover,

Been to Sakushi a few times with my wife and alone, I like it - much better than Yo Sushi IMHO. I also like Wasabisabi, which is my prefered choice, but I have no qualms over eating at Sakushi and see it and Wasabisabi in different categories - complementary rather than competing.

You have to try Yama Sushi on near the bottom of London Road. You can actually see the fish before its cut thru the chiller and got a great range of Japanese beers. Not expensive and the staff are friendly and helpful. Worth a go!

Wasn't impressed when we tried Yama Sushi, but each to their own; nothing wrong with it, but way behind Wasabisabi.

i have eaten sushi in Japan, HK, NYC, Brussells and London and have to say that the nigiri and maki rolls offered by Sakushi is the SMALLEST i have ever seen by far.

Probably about 75% of the size of wasasbisabi and not even 50% of what you would get in a good Tokyo kaiten.

This is very sly of Sakushi imo as you need to buy more dishes to feel like you have eaten anything.

After all, if you exclude the fish, the ingredients are not that expensive (rice, cucumber, nori etc).

Having said that, the set up and food is nice but the portions are way way smaller than other sushi places.

hey ultracynic, i think your getting confussed between futomaki and maki. maki are small and futomaki are large. i would say they are standard size and very authentic. the nigiri when i went was larger than wasabisabi by a mile so i dont get what your saying. When i lived in Japan it is the same as UK you get some places that offer rediculous portions and some that offer less. Would deffinatley say it is as authentic as Japan.

And your saying just rice? sushi rice isnt the same as you get from tesco and in Japan the sushi is more expensive.

going again this weekednd cant wait!!

hey ultracynic, i think your getting confussed between futomaki and maki. maki are small and futomaki are large. i would say they are standard size and very authentic. the nigiri when i went was larger than wasabisabi by a mile so i dont get what your saying. When i lived in Japan it is the same as UK you get some places that offer rediculous portions and some that offer less. Would deffinatley say it is as authentic as Japan.

And your saying just rice? sushi rice isnt the same as you get from tesco and in Japan the sushi is more expensive.

going again this weekednd cant wait!!

no confusion. the maki rolls i had in sakushi are definitely smaller than the same thing i have had elsewhere. same goes for the nigiri. i went soon after opening so maybe they have changed things now.

obviously i was implying sushi rice.

as for japan, you can pay alot for sushi in restauarants but in kaiten places similar to sakushi most of the plates were under 500 yen each (not as cheap now with exchange rate but it was over 200 jpy to the pound last time i was there).

don't get me wrong, sakushi is ok but nothing more though it is much better than yo sushi (joke sushi).

I went for dinner after work in Sakushi with Mum when she was up last week.

I thought the food was delish! :)

We had dumplings, noodles, prawny things, things off the conveyor belt... Bit of a selection and it was great (even for a fuss pot like me! :hihi:)

Very friendly and polite staff, will definately be making a trip back soon! (Just need to convince the OH that not all sushi tastes like the stuff you get in Tescos!!

We'd gone quite early, so there was only the two of us in there, but I'm sure it would be great when it's busy :thumbsup:

Want to learn how to make sushi like a pro?

Want to give someone a different present this christmas?

Sakushi is holding a sushi school on the 11th and the 18th Jan between 7 and 9.30pm

You will be shown how to cut a salmon from scratch, how to mix rice the sakushi way and then how to make 3 different types of sushi.

All equiptment and ingredients will be provided for you.

This is not just a evening to learn sushi it is an evening you can enjoy with friends, we will have our bar open and music playing for your enjoyment.

Price with sakushi card £69.95 per person.

regards

sakushi