Teachers' names at Hurlfield Boys

Originally posted by davep

Do any of you remember Paul Worrall. He was in my class and became Head Boy. It wasn't surprising as his father was Alderman Worrall, the Lord Mayor at the time. Now I'm not saying that there was favouritism, but.........

Remember the name but can't put a face to it but do recall a lot being made of his dad being Lord Mayor.

When I was there it was a boys only school, and we were not allowed to fratenize with the girls under pain of death. There were a couple of girls who used to come over and hang about outside the chippy, but with 2 girls and 600 boys all trying to get off with them it was absolute chaos at lunchtime. How I envied my mates at home who nearly all went to the mixed Gleadless Valley. Why my parents opted for Hurlfield I'll never know. Girls were just things you ogled at from afar, like the fence at the far end of the playing fields.

Doesn't time fly. My granson has just left the school, now called Myrtle Springs, this summer. I passed it the other day and it still looks surprisingly familiar. The older part still looks like a large ocean-going ship. I would imagine most if not all of the teachers we had will have passed away by now, shame really as they were a good bunch, with one glaring exception already mentioned. Once they had knocked the raw edged egos of the latest intake from Arbourthorne Central, they managed to teach us a lot in a short time. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

PS Have edited this with the correct name of Myrtle Springs. How I came up with the name Ashleigh I'll never know.

Left Sheffield many years ago and was driving past on a visit.

There was a jumble sale on so thought "what the hell", went inside and the current Head was there.

Forget his name but a really pleasant guy and he showed me and wife round, literally brought a lump to my throat.

Was more than a bit run down. He reckoned it would probably be demolished in about 5 years.

Some things obviously hadn't changed, gym still smelt the same!!

The hall for assembly, Bill Machin ALWAYS stood in the left hand corner and wouldn't sing a word of any hymn. Presume he a Catholic or something.

The office block where Lenny Egerton had his office just looked like a bombsite.

Remember the secretary in the 60's? Old girl with her hair in a bun, we used to call her Ellie May from the Beverly Hillbillies!

Anyone remember her name?

Don't think Bill Machin was a catholic, more likely a warlock !

Originally posted by PhilipB

Was at Hurlfield from 61 to 66.

Teachers?

Physics Chemistry, Pete Jennings

Maths , Jack Crawshaw

Geography, Stuart Greenhough

Scripture, Taffy Morgan

English, Peter Davies (think)

Tech Drawing, Brian Big Arse Standing

PE, Bill Machin

Woodwork, Cliff Thornton

Head was Len Egerton, great guy

Deputy used to be a guy called Lipton, about 7 foot tall, he left and replaced by Houdmont.

Agree with davep about Bill Machin. He was so unfit he couldn't even walk fast, totally addicted to making your life miserable.

Well remember the Forward Defensive crap, that and a loudly shouting, "Change Offffffffff"

Who else was in your class Alan 52?

HI PHILIPB ITS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE WE WERE AT SCHOOL BUT I DO REMEMBER A FEW NAMES THAT WERE IN MY CLASS CLIFFORD POXON,GORDON ELLIOTT,MIKE BOULDING,MALCOME STEVENSON,DAVID BRIGGS,PETER KENNY AND THE FIRST PAKISTANI ? BOY HIS NAME WAS NEVAS I THINK I AM SURE I WILL REMEMBER MORE LATER.I AM SURPRISED NO BODY HAS NAMED A MR HOLDING THANKS

Originally posted by patchalan

yes i do lets start, egerton, houdmont, crawshaw, burke, march, greenhough, morton, sibury, kirk,fitzpatrick, machin, solley, marshall, edwards, jenning,s , oldale, standen, plus horace the groundsman, and i am certain i know you and your brother.

HI TO PATCHALAN YOU SAY THAT YOU KNOW ME AND MY BROTHER WELL MY BROTHERS NAME IS STEPHEN AND MY NAME IS ALAN GILLOTT IT MUST HAVE BEEN A LONG TIME AGO BECAUSE WE LEFT SHEFFIELD IN 1966 TO LIVE IN AUSSIE LAND IF YOU KNOW US WHERE FROM AND WHAT IS YOUR NAME THANKS ALAN

Originally posted by Alan52

HI PHILIPB ITS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE WE WERE AT SCHOOL BUT I DO REMEMBER A FEW NAMES THAT WERE IN MY CLASS CLIFFORD POXON,GORDON ELLIOTT,MIKE BOULDING,MALCOME STEVENSON,DAVID BRIGGS,PETER KENNY AND THE FIRST PAKISTANI ? BOY HIS NAME WAS NEVAS I THINK I AM SURE I WILL REMEMBER MORE LATER.I AM SURPRISED NO BODY HAS NAMED A MR HOLDING TANKS

Think you must have been a year younger than me Alan.

Remember Gordon Elliot, he had an older brither and think they lived on Skye Edge Ave also recall David Briggs.

Mr Holding, think he did tech drawing before Brian Standing.

Remember the first coloured boy. Don't recall his name but he was universally called No.1.

Did anyone else do the cigarette run for Mr Egerton?

He used to give you the money for 20 Embassy and then tell you to keep the change, all 2d of it.

Cob and chips. Does that ring any bells?

DING !!!!

2 of you would get one, get it cut in half. Then eat the bread out of the middle, and get it filled with chips.

The chip shop is still there in the same position. Bet they don't do them these days.

HI ALAN 52

You know me better as Patch or Alan Nelson, i lived on Fellbrigg Road, just up the road from Malcolm Stevens.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your friend and mine Cliff Poxon died earlier this year, i hear it was asbestos related, he was a big softy at heart. we had some good times when we were younger. At one time he worked for Trev Whisker, who lived just up the road from you ,on the otherside.

I mainly knocked about with John Hodson, Gordon Campbell, kieth Wales, Trev Clements, Mick Donohoe, and Cliff. you were a year younger if i remember rightly.

We all went to Arbourthorne C . Before moving up to Hurlfield, how things have changed, i was proud to go to that school, i dont think there was a sporting trophy that was not won by one team or another, the cabinet in the foyer was always full.

Even Wednesday had a good team then.