What's this building in Sheffield?

i think part was a silversmith firm at least up till 21 years ago, and i think that part was (might still be?) a firm that sold polishing mops and wheels for the silver industry, Laycocks it may have been called.

Columbia Works was built around 1836. It was occupied by William Wigfall & Sons, who were brush makers, from 1868-71. The large coat of arms on the front is associated with them. (info from the excellent Pevsner Architectural Guide to Sheffield)

I believe that it's the old assay office, involved with hallmarking the silver items produced in Sheffield. Sheffield I think still has an assay office though not in the old building. After the assay office moved out I think the building was used by an organ manufacturer for a number of years.

talk about buildings what about that pile of so and so they put up at the top of brookhill round about. looks like some kids gone mad with the crayons

I said exactley the same to my husband the other day, looks like kids have been let loose on that. Its an absolute eyesore, and its not even finished. I wonder who thought that would look nice. Mind you the information commons across the road is pretty awful as well, with the turquoise and glass.

I said exactley the same to my husband the other day, looks like kids have been let loose on that. Its an absolute eyesore, and its not even finished. I wonder who thought that would look nice. Mind you the information commons across the road is pretty awful as well, with the turquoise and glass.

If you're wondering who thinks that it looks nice? I do! I also love the information commons across the road.

On the subject of strange buildings, does anyone know what the building is on the roundabout at the bottom of Hanover Way? It's on the junction with Moore Street opposite that new Velocity building.

Oh God..... here we go again............ When I first saw this thread I immediately thought of this one!! :hihi::hihi:

Ok, travelling away from the train station towards the Leadmill end of town. Its on the stretch of road between the train station to the McDonalds on Farm Road.

Its opposite the Co-op Funeral Building.

The building I'm interested in is white, looks turn of the century/Victorian, and has a large crest of arms over the front doorway.

Anyone shed anylight as to what its used for/was.

Cheers

Jim

That's my house. You can come round some time if you want.

Ok, travelling away from the train station towards the Leadmill end of town. Its on the stretch of road between the train station to the McDonalds on Farm Road.

Its opposite the Co-op Funeral Building.

The building I'm interested in is white, looks turn of the century/Victorian, and has a large crest of arms over the front doorway.

Anyone shed anylight as to what its used for/was.

Cheers

Jim

The large crest of arms on that building is that of the court service. In particular the crown/county courts.