World Cup football in Sheffield?

also if we put our name forward as a venue. we might get help paying for ground improvements like wendy did in 66.

i think we got some help with euro 96 aswell :thumbsup:maybe wrong

of course it does if your comparing 27 to 32,000. but your comparing the sty to lane. 36,000 to 32,000 with plans to expand.

No I'm not. You might be, but I'm not responsible for whatever random tangents you decided to go off to.

quote mr logic

"That means, purely on capacity, Elland Road is 8th and Hillsborough 9th. Given the inevitable claim by various Blades that neither ground is up to scratch and should be discarded, that makes Bramall Lane 10th on the list."

:loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

Couple of things:

Hillsborough's capacity is over 39,000, not 36,000.

Second of all, there is very little that you can do to Bramall Lane in way of expansion due to proximity of other buildings and infrastructure. The entire site probably has a 35,000 - 40,000 upper limit. You could say that whatever you do with Bramall Lane, it will NEVER be as big as Hillsborough. Not that it needs to be either :hihi:.

Finally, I'd just like to ask, what has happened to plans to put a new level on the top of your kop? Wasn't that supposed to be last year and was put on hold until this year? Not run out of money have they (see threads on wage bill reductions)? Not realised they don't need it have they?

At the end of the day don't kid yourselves - if they are going to put forward a ground in this area for 2018, we ALL know which they'll choose - the same on the ALWAYS do.

Couple of things:

Hillsborough's capacity is over 39,000, not 36,000.

Second of all, there is very little that you can do to Bramall Lane in way of expansion due to proximity of other buildings and infrastructure. The entire site probably has a 35,000 - 40,000 upper limit. You could say that whatever you do with Bramall Lane, it will NEVER be as big as Hillsborough. Not that it needs to be either :hihi:.

Finally, I'd just like to ask, what has happened to plans to put a new level on the top of your kop? Wasn't that supposed to be last year and was put on hold until this year? Not run out of money have they (see threads on wage bill reductions)? Not realised they don't need it have they?

At the end of the day don't kid yourselves - if they are going to put forward a ground in this area for 2018, we ALL know which they'll choose - the same on the ALWAYS do.

Just to keep you in the loop frank permission to extend the Kop and South Stand (which both had acres of space behind them) has already been granted. Work on the Kop will start when we get promoted back to the PL which will increase the stadium to 36k and another tier on top of the south stand will increase the capacity even further to 40k (which is subject to us been granted permission to host a World Cup match.

I see no reason Bramall Lane shouldn't host a World Cup match, its the oldest League Ground in the World, it has modern facilities, Sheffield is the home of Football. I certainly give Sheffield the nod over Leeds and also Bramall Lane over Hillsborough, i'm not been funny but the WC is played in June and July and if Hillsborough is at risk of been under 10 foot of water it'll be a non starter already plus it still has the stigma of the Hillsborough Disaster attached to it.

For a WC match to be hosted in Yorkshire i would say Bramall Lane is the obvious choice.

Just to keep you in the loop frank permission to extend the Kop and South Stand (which both had acres of space behind them) has already been granted. Work on the Kop will start when we get promoted back to the PL which will increase the stadium to 36k and another tier on top of the south stand will increase the capacity even further to 40k (which is subject to us been granted permission to host a World Cup match.

I see no reason Bramall Lane shouldn't host a World Cup match, its the oldest League Ground in the World, it has modern facilities, Sheffield is the home of Football. I certainly give Sheffield the nod over Leeds and also Bramall Lane over Hillsborough, i'm not been funny but the WC is played in June and July and if Hillsborough is at risk of been under 10 foot of water it'll be a non starter already plus it still has the stigma of the Hillsborough Disaster attached to it.

For a WC match to be hosted in Yorkshire i would say Bramall Lane is the obvious choice.

really ? anyway been there done that

have your world cup games at the lane :rolleyes:

really ? anyway been there done that

have your world cup games at the lane :rolleyes:

Been there done that, 42yrs ago i wasn't even born so it would be nice for future generations to see world cup football hosted in Sheffield.

We've got 10yrs to work in it so i won't be losing any sleep over it.

Unless this investment is forthcoming the question is will Wednesday be around in 10yrs? :hihi:

Been there done that, 42yrs ago i wasn't even born so it would be nice for future generations to see world cup football hosted in Sheffield.

We've got 10yrs to work in it so i won't be losing any sleep over it.

Unless this investment is forthcoming the question is will Wednesday be around in 10yrs? :hihi:

ok have your w.c games

"i'm not been funny":rolleyes: but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz next

Work on the Kop will start when we get promoted back to the PL which will increase the stadium to 36k and another tier on top of the south stand will increase the capacity even further to 40k (which is subject to us been granted permission to host a World Cup match.

So Frank's right then, it won't be getting extended :D

So Frank's right then, it won't be getting extended :D

hahaha!! Probably not!!

Sheffield Star reports that McCabe thinks Bramall Lane have a "compelling" case for World Cup matches to be held there.

Time was when Bramall Lane was the premier ground in all Yorkshire; more recently, it's always been Hillsborough. Right now, I don't think either ground has merit, but given twelve years to complete the job, I suppose it could be done.

Of course, if we make as big a god-awful catastrophe of the Olympics as I still expect us to, the whole point will be moot. :D

It's not big enough unfortunately.