World Cup football in Sheffield?

Heyesey

Didnt an England game get played at Burnley or something?:confused:

u21 game fella.

However, England toured the country, playing at various places when Wembley was being re-built rather than just going for Old Trafford.

I think if Bramall Lane were to get to a capacity of 45,000 we would have a good shout at getting one of the groups played here.

Whether the realisation of getting it to that figure is possible is another matter.

Don't forget there's 10 years to go guys. There's also an article in the Star saying how McCabe is looking to expand Bumhole Lane to 40,000 and make it suitable to hold World Cup matches. Even as a Wednesday fan I welcome this as the benefits for the city would be huge.

When a takeover goes through for Wednesday, if they invest a bit in the ground they could get that up to World Cup standard as well. Although as only one city (i.e. London) is allowed two stadiums it would have to be a choice between the two, and at the current rate I could see United getting it.

If we can get at least one ground up to the right standards, I would say Sheffield has as good a chance - if not better considering the history (and the fact the guy behind the WC bid is a Sheffield MP ;)) - as any city at hosting World Cup games.

Last week on the radio Kevin McCabe said he still wanted to go ahead with the ground redevelopment.

I may have misheard but he seemed to say that Bramall Lane was already the largest ground in Yorkshire, but I presume he meant it would be if the development goes ahead.

But even at 40,000 or more would Sheffield really get any World Cup matches.

I don't think so.

For the fringe grounds I think the matches will go to newer grounds that aren't in the heart of the cities.

I may have misheard but he seemed to say that Bramall Lane was already the largest ground in Yorkshire, but I presume he meant it would be if the development goes ahead.

Largest in terms of area occupied, maybe? (Including all the gubbins they're building on what used to be the car park?)

Definitely not largest in terms of maximum crowd size. I'm struggling to think of any other definition he could have meant - other than "largest ground" in the same sense as "biggest club" that gets argued about on here.

Incidentally, I've just checked up on the 2006 World Cup in Germany; the smallest stadium used was 44,000, and several others were around the 45,000 mark.

The obvious inclusions would be Wembley and Ashburton Grove; Old Trafford; the new Anfield, if it ever gets built;

Newcastle? Villa Park? Sunderland?

We'd probably use nine or ten stadiums. Maybe more; Germany used twelve.

But even at 40,000 or more would Sheffield really get any World Cup matches..

There are many defining reasons Sheffield MAY get a look in IF a ground was brought to a suitable standard......

Home of football, Worlds first football club, the UK's oldest stadium, we're in a good catchment for a lot of interest.

If a team isn't found from Yorkshire, you're going to be excluding a lot of football fans. Of course Manchester has 2 stadiums capable, but can only have one being used. The next nearest one...... Villa park maybe? Or St James? Both a 2 hour drive really from here north and south, missing a massive chuck of fans.

I think the idea isn't as daft as people make out, but a lot of work will needed to make us realise what we want to achieve.

A quick trip to Wikipedia gives these as the 17 biggest-capacity stadiums in England, as of whenever the list was written but it doesn't look too badly out of date.

Wembley

Old Trafford

Ashburton Grove

St. James' Park

Stadium of Light

City of Manchester Stadium

Anfield

Villa Park

Stamford Bridge

Goodison Park

Elland Road

Hillsborough

White Hart Lane

Upton Park

Riverside Stadium

Pride Park

Bramall Lane

The ones in italics can't be used as a bigger stadium from the same city (two such, for London) is already down.

That means, purely on capacity, Elland Road is 8th and Hillsborough 9th. Given the inevitable claim by various Blades that neither ground is up to scratch and should be discarded, that makes Bramall Lane 10th on the list.

I'd say, assuming investment to improve the stadium, that one or other Sheffield ground is a certainty to be used. At this point, given financial positions, Bramall Lane is the ground more likely to get the investment; but a lot can change in the next six years. We might go down and the Owls go back up :hihi:

biggest does'nt mean best.

True - and the argument behind Bramall Lane rather than Hillsborough being a candidate. Still, a stadium with the best facilities in the entire world and a capacity of twenty-seven people, won't get selected. Size is not the ONLY thing that matters, in this instance ... but it does matter.