Sheffield University - new visual identity

I have to say I'm not keen. It may grow on me (and it has done a bit since I first saw it). It looks a bit better on printed materials I have seen than on the web, which I think doesn't reflect well on the whole new identity at all.

The trouble with using non-standard typography is that it dates quickly, once the novelty has worn off. Will it be referred to as The University Of Sheffield. in copy, as well as the logo? It reminds me of the slew of businesses that sprung up about 5 years ago with @ signs in their name. And doesn't that look dated now?

The stuff about 'what things represent' is waffle, and is nearly always written AFTER a design has been agreed, to justify it. Remember most designers are usually very cynical about these things!

To me, it smacks of a 'design by committee' solution - I'd imagine DR came up with a much more far-our design which has been diluted by various other people and stages of the process.

It begs the question is DR the right agency to do this sort of work - they are good at what they do, but I wouldn't have thought of them for this kind of corporate work (maybe its my misconception of them) - rather than their usual funkier trendier client.

It says it has been comprehensively market tested - and when you consider their main market (yes, it is a business now, not an academic institution) is 18-21 year olds, it probably goes down quite well with them. Unfortunately, they probably haven't considered too much that the identity must be open to those who AREN'T their paying customers. For example university staff, researchers from UK and overseas, the Sheffield residents who see university buildings and signage on a daily basis and live near students etc - is this identity going to be inclusive and bring the whole community closer, or make non-students feel more isolated from the university's 'trendy' image, that they don't like or can't relate to?

The test of an identity is its longevity - and I think with its typographic novelty, this logo may be too trendy to be timeless.

Originally posted by JonJParr

To add insult to injury, I have uncovered that students at the University are no longer to be issued with paper copies of lecture slides at the lecture itself. They must now print them themselves (at their own expense) after the lecture from the University's e-learning software WebCT. This policy is inline with the University's new "efficiency drive".

What are the University of Sheffield thinking? Their spending priorities are entirely wrong- cutting accessibility to lecture notes citing "efficiency" when, all the time, they are pursuing an unnecessary and costly programme of corporate rebranding.

I get my lecture notes both on paper in lectures, and also available on WebCT incase we miss lectures.

Well, here's the Universitys explianation:

"The ligature that unites the curve of the second "f" of Sheffield with the dot of the following "i" is an example of expert typographical practice, which is rarely consciously noted by readers but which subtly implies quality. The final full point and the initial upper case letter on each line imply emphasis and confidence.

The layout of the University's name within the logo is echoed in the four-line statements of University core values which also form part of the visual identity in publications and on the website."

Which indicates that they know its wrong.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/marcoms/visualid/elements/logo/lettering.html

If you go to the shef uni homepage shef.ac.uk,

at the bottom right hand corner you will notice that the link to the privacy policy page is half hidden under the blue navigation bar :hihi: :hihi: :loopy:

Talk about private.

Note: I use firefox

To me it implies ignorance.

Can't agree more Longshanks. I work at the Uni and have yet to find anyone there who likes the "The University Of Sheffield." logo. What's more there has been a stream of various edicts from on high forcing us to comply with this rebranding process.

As for the logo - just how this is supposed to imply academic excellence when it doesn't adhere to basic rules of English frankly beggars belief in my opinion.

To add insult to injury, I have uncovered that students at the University are no longer to be issued with paper copies of lecture slides at the lecture itself. They must now print them themselves (at their own expense) after the lecture from the University's e-learning software WebCT. This policy is inline with the University's new "efficiency drive".

Not sure what your source is Jon but it is very badly mis-informed. I work in a department where ALL the undergraduates get paper copies of lecture notes, tutorial questions, past papers, etc. etc.

Not sure what your source is Jon but it is very badly mis-informed. I work in a department where ALL the undergraduates get paper copies of lecture notes, tutorial questions, past papers, etc. etc.

Free?

To agree with posters above, the 'The University Of Sheffield.' rebranding is an absolute joke.

In 4 years at the University i NEVER got paper handouts of the slides etc, they very rarely even got put online for us to download..

we had to take notes :o :o :o

Free?

To agree with posters above, the 'The University Of Sheffield.' rebranding is an absolute joke.

Copies of all lecture notes and tutorial questions and answers are handed out free of charge. I personally spend several hours at the start of each semester photocopying notes for my students.

I can't speak for other departments but this is certainly the norm. in mine.

Free?

-----

Just imagine that the Department of English Literature are now being forced to make a basic grammatical error by using a capital 'O' for 'Of' in mid sentence for the name of their institution. Everybody must be laughing at the irony. The charter and statutes clearly state the word 'of' - lower case. Every day we witness instances of our language being decimated, but for a University to do that in it's own title? That one takes the biscuit in my book.

-----

Just imagine that the Department of English Literature are now being forced to make a basic grammatical error by using a capital 'O' for 'Of' in mid sentence for the name of their institution. Everybody must be laughing at the irony. The charter and statutes clearly state the word 'of' - lower case. Every day we witness instances of our language being decimated, but for a University to do that in it's own title? That one takes the biscuit in my book.

I couldn't agree more. This is embarrassing for Sheffield, and comes across as profoundly ignorant. I consider myself lucky that I got my degree certificate before it happened, otherwise I would have had to tippex it out and correct it with a lower-case 'o' using Letraset! Apparently, it's supposed to make you think, but think what exactly? How stupid I presume!

Makes you think all right, think what the hell were they on when they thought of it