My dog keeps scratching the carpet...help

Hi. I would love a answer or two to why my dog could be scratching at the carpet all the time. It's always in the same spot and when we are either in bed or out of the house. Ocasionally I have been in the house and caught him doing it.

When we first moved into the house we yhought it was because he could smell the previous dogs. But since we moved in 3 years ago we have washed the carpets and now replaced them, he's still doing it. Now when we leave the room or the house we have to put something over the spt where he likes to scratch but today I forgot and now the carpet is more or less ruined. If somebody has a idea to why he is doing this it would be much appreciated.

Hi. I would love a answer or two to why my dog could be scratching at the carpet all the time. It's always in the same spot and when we are either in bed or out of the house. Ocasionally I have been in the house and caught him doing it.

When we first moved into the house we yhought it was because he could smell the previous dogs. But since we moved in 3 years ago we have washed the carpets and now replaced them, he's still doing it. Now when we leave the room or the house we have to put something over the spt where he likes to scratch but today I forgot and now the carpet is more or less ruined. If somebody has a idea to why he is doing this it would be much appreciated.

could he be smelling a stiff under the floorboards Mrs West?

After all this time I would think that it's a habit or behavioural thing rather than actually smelling anything on that spot, but I'm sure that's no consolation to you when he's ruined your carpet.

As for what you do from here, maybe the only immediate solution is to prevent him from getting to that spot when you aren't about, whether that involves crate training or shutting him out of the room.

We have a baby gate across the bedroom door to prevent Molly from being in the bedroom when we're not in the room with her because of her little mattress eating episode. I was actually in the house at the time but she couldn't get to me (I was with the mummy cat and litter in the attic) and her anxiety tipped over into some serious damage.

Longer term you could think of doing things like getting him interested in some of the really challenging toys which will keep him busy while you're not there, or potentially hanging round where he can't see you until he starts doing it, at which point you use a spray of water, or a box with nuts and bolts in to make a row, combined with a very sharp 'no'.

could he be smelling a stiff under the floorboards Mrs West?

Lol! I hope not. The garage is directly beneath where he is scratching. But in this house you never know, we found some very funny things when we moved in :D

After all this time I would think that it's a habit or behavioural thing rather than actually smelling anything on that spot, but I'm sure that's no consolation to you when he's ruined your carpet.

As for what you do from here, maybe the only immediate solution is to prevent him from getting to that spot when you aren't about, whether that involves crate training or shutting him out of the room.

We have a baby gate across the bedroom door to prevent Molly from being in the bedroom when we're not in the room with her because of her little mattress eating episode. I was actually in the house at the time but she couldn't get to me (I was with the mummy cat and litter in the attic) and her anxiety tipped over into some serious damage.

Longer term you could think of doing things like getting him interested in some of the really challenging toys which will keep him busy while you're not there, or potentially hanging round where he can't see you until he starts doing it, at which point you use a spray of water, or a box with nuts and bolts in to make a row, combined with a very sharp 'no'.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I tried locking him out of the room but he pee's in the kitchen when I do that. I have also tried toys for him which he pays no interest to.:rolleyes: I think I will give the water spray a go next and see where we go from there.

Just an idea for you:

Get a metal tray and some wires. Connect the wires to said tray and put this tray under the carpet. With the wire connect them to a plug and plug it into the mains. Then I'm 100% sure that little 'patch' will stop scatching the carpet

Whatever you do to try to stop him, you may want to combine that with a very very thorough cleaning of that area with a solution that digests whatever smells may be there.

Start with a solution of biological washing powder that you rinse well, then saturate the area with a pet smell remover (there are loads on the market- I use Safe4's odour killer and can heartily recommend it) then after that's dry treat the area for several minutes with a steam cleaner.

Any smell that can get through the belt and braces approach of smell removal is going to be there permanently.

Just an idea for you:

Get a metal tray and some wires. Connect the wires to said tray and put this tray under the carpet. With the wire connect them to a plug and plug it into the mains. Then I'm 100% sure that little 'patch' will stop scatching the carpet

You're not a dog lover then? :D

My dog does this, but only from time to time. I think its something to do with when her claws are ready for a trim & they're irritating her a bit

Whatever you do to try to stop him, you may want to combine that with a very very thorough cleaning of that area with a solution that digests whatever smells may be there.

Start with a solution of biological washing powder that you rinse well, then saturate the area with a pet smell remover (there are loads on the market- I use Safe4's odour killer and can heartily recommend it) then after that's dry treat the area for several minutes with a steam cleaner.

Any smell that can get through the belt and braces approach of smell removal is going to be there permanently.

Yeah will try that too but I'm convinced there's no smell there, new carpets and underlay...ahh well like I said I'll give it a go

You're not a dog lover then? :D

Yeah I've got one, but she doesn't do what your dog does :hihi:

Still it would teach it a leason. Sounds like it's got itself into a routine. Is their a draft coming under the door where the carpet it? Sometimes this can make them do that

Yeah I've got one, but she doesn't do what the OP's dog does

He's getting worse in his old age our dog...not only does he dig the carpet but he also smells like he's rotting from the inside Lol:gag: