Banksy - scum or genius?

So Is Banksy Scum Or Genuis?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. So Is Banksy Scum Or Genuis?

• Scum
    • Genuis

He should stay away from politics - he doesn't seem to be able to move away from contrived trendy yet somnolently predictable themes.

The commissioned stuff is ok if you like that sort of thing.

The canvases are ok if you like that sort of thing.

The photography depicting run down Britain?

Hasn't he & his sort been a causation of it?

Art is very personal - you either like it or you don't. To have the pomposity & arrogance to daub it wherever you please I'm afraid drops him into the scum department for me.

Totally agree.

I personally like his work.

He isn't anything special, as we have artists like AME 72, who I think is better than Banksy, but he has managed to put stencilling and graff in the eyes of people who just dismissed it before (maybe a lot of these people are the types who just see street art as being the new cool, I don't now..... a lot of people on here think the same; that all graff artists are just scum bags who deface property so there is little point in arguing with this as they think their view is the only view we should all have.

However, he has been very clever to actually pitch himself and end up charging hundreds of thousands for his work! He isn't scum or a genuis, he's just done what he had a passion for......living his dreams....

As they say: 'big up Banksy!'

It seems that most graffers don't like Banksy.

So he must be good.

TBH, and IMO (careful choice of words!) Bansky isn't a graff artists, yes he uses spray cans, but he's a stencil artist.....most, if not all of his work is stencil based.

Personally, I think he's got an illness

I hope you're not in the medical profession :)

as has anyone who can't help themselves deliberately destroy and deface anyone's personal property (and that applies to public buildings).

It's not art; never was, never will be.

Artists display their work in art galleries or elsewhere.

What if the affected wall(s) were to be carefully taken down, and placed into a gallery? Would Banksy become an artist? What about if the said wall is placed in a really spiffy, carved Edwardian wooden frame? The wall(s) can always be dismantled and put back when the exhibition closes.

In the UK one can expect the likes of 'Banksy' to become a celebrity. In other countries he'd be locked up and that's firmly where he belongs.

I think Banksy should receive a Knighthood. Now wouldn't that be ironic?

On a more local level, does anyone know anything about the striking Ninja painted on the wall in Burngreave that I pass every day on the bus? It looks really good.

I've seen that too, it's really good!

I've always liked Banksy, I love how he/she's anonymous! If you look on the websites, there are lots of funny videos.

x

I've seen that too, it's really good!

I've always liked Banksy, I love how he/she's anonymous! If you look on the websites, there are lots of funny videos.

x

The ninja's artist is called, Such and he's very good!

I like the Phlegm transfer on the Traffic Furniture by Heeley Baths. Banksy's stuff makes me laugh. Donkey's not far off the mark, the work is predictably anti-authoritarian simply because making it is an act against authority. But the visual gags are very good indeed, and more than compensate for the slightly sophomoric tone. His eye for incorporating existing features into trompe d'oeil pieces is well in advance of anything else I've seen.

Seeing a Banksy "in the wild" is always a rewarding experience.

I liked the long white line, which if you followed it (a long way) led to two police constables one of whom was kneeling down, about to start snorting the other end of the line through a well positioned banknote.

Britain loves a rogue, and Banksy plays the role well.

The ninja's artist is called, Such and he's very good!
hey bouti how are you. yes banksy is a good stencillor it takes tallent to cut a good stencill like his,and he has quite a broud mind,theres no tallent to putting up a stencill though.

but banksy used to be a graffiti artist though and has proved that he is tallented at both,so graff artists cant critisise him (too much).

most of the "generall"public,because of there lack of undersatanding and education of the artform,when it comes to normal graffiti cant see into a piece of, say wildstyle graffiti what other graffiti writers can understand,so banksy graffiti will allways be mentiond more because it is easly read,but i am proud to be in the same crew as such and like him have been doing all forms of graffiti for 25+years,to sum up banksy is not a graffiti artist but a street artist(which is a media term)tallented at stencill cutting, and quite a good expressive mind person(if you know what i mean).but i dont think he compares to many free hand graffiti artists of the last 10 years or so.

...but i dont think he compares to many free hand graffiti artists of the last 10 years or so.

Possibly as he's so much better! :P

Here is Banksy and his mate showing some of his early political graffiti.

This comment from Banksy on his own work makes so much sense now:

“I can’t believe you morons buy this s***.”