Westways or Lydgiate Primary?

My daughter is 5 and in another local school at the moment, but due to work location etc, Im looking to move her. She has special educational needs and has had some great support from her current school. The choices are between Westways and Lydgiate and I wondered if anyone had any info on what these are like? :)

Does she have a statement? If not then do the schools both have places? I don't know anything about either school but I do know people who have moved and have not been able to get into their local school so just wanted to flag it up.

Both my kids went to Westways and thoroughly enjoyed it - a very good school. Lydgate has a very good reputation as well. To be honest if I was you I'd want to visit both schools and talk to the heads at the very least before making a decision.

Does she have a statement? If not then do the schools both have places? I don't know anything about either school but I do know people who have moved and have not been able to get into their local school so just wanted to flag it up.

She has a SEN plan or whatever its proper name is, and has input from an early years inclusion worker who visits her at school. She doesnt have an official "diagnosis" as yet as Im told they wont give one until they are 7 @ the least

In that case I'd give the admissions department a call and check which schools near where you live have places for your daughter's age group. Just checked the Council website and it says call (0114) 273 5766 for Primary places.

Lydgate Primary put on a fantastic performance at Sheffield Cathedral in the Christmas Carol Concert. If you're little girl is even remotely interested in music I'd send her to Lydgate. (:

My son went to Lydgate Infants and Juniors, and I can't fault the schools at all.

Both my children go to Westways and it is absolutely brilliant. The teachers are super and the head is great. What I love most about it is how it is so inclusive as well as emphasising the importance of educating the whole child. It understands that all children have strengths and that not all children are going to be high academic achievers but can achieve in their own areas and they celebrate this. The mixture of children from so many back grounds is also one of its strengths.

Westways also have many extra curriculum activities (mine do French, recorder, drumming and computer animation) and a really good after school club.

I can only concur with a previous poster - make an appointment to see round the school and also to meet the SENCO to discuss the support that might be possible and then decide. Lygate is a very good school so whatever you chose it should be fine.

Good luck.

PS what I also like about Westways is when my eldest did their KS1 SATs he thought they had a really "great week doing nothing but quizzes"! No stress, no fuss just low key assessment - marvellous.

What about Hallam primary in comparison to Lydgate ? We are moving into the area and my daughter will be in y6

Sorry to point out but this thread is 3 yrs old so the decision will have already been made.

My son goes to Lydgate Infant School and loves it there.

I went to Westways and I am now 52 years old. Never did me any harm!

Westways is a primary, whereas I believe Lydgiate is an infants and juniors, so you may have to reapply later, so could lose continuity.