A61 Penistone road to be completely closed for a fortnight

If they would only enforce the yellow lines on Station road, most of Chapeltowns daily gridlocks would be avoided.

I notice they have stuck a CCTV camera on a new streetlight pole on Station rd near the junction with Thornbrook Gardens. Perhaps they will need a few more in the village.

Some excellent and very fair comments here, but to clarify several points -

Why not use a Bailey Bridge ? - whilst a great idea, bailey bridges and tank bridges are really suited to this application, simplistically speaking all roads and bridges are designed based on the millions of axles that go over any given point, cars are disregarded, but HGV axles are calculated, so the more HGV's the more substantial the support is needed to take the wear and tear over a design life

Bailey bridges are great for what they do, taking tanks and supplies over gaps, but if they are intended to be a long term solution for 12-24 months, they require significant maintenance and cost significant amounts of money - weblink clicky here - a short life one costs less than a longer life one, many "temporary" bridges can only take up to a certain number of loads during it's life and this number is a fraction of that what a permenant bridge can take

Last, the support at each end needs to be stable, this has been an major "unknown" since the floods and once established it was clear that the unstable ground went far deeper than first appearances, thus a heavy bridge structure support each side of the culvert "could" have actually made the damage worse than it is now - a bridge is a heavy bit of kit, 100-150t perhaps

Cost - The repairs are expected to cost £6M, putting this into context, the City Council spent about £8M on highways schemes last year - excluding the seperate funding for IRR - a typical secondary school costs £4-5M per year to run, so just finding this level of funding from the annual budget, means something would have to be cut, which isn't popular, especially if the money can be obtained from elsewhere (central gov) without affecting current budgets

Alignment - Getting rid of the bends was considered at an early stage, however early indications were that the central gov funding would only pay for the cost of the repair - the extra cost of land for a new alignment would need to be found from existing funding or bid for via the DfT, which would have delayed the project further - also, there could have been objections by local residents, which democratically, have to be considered

Why has it took so long - Good question, projects over a certain value - £260k rings a bell, have to go through a european advertisement of tender, this process takes at least 13 weeks, with public holidays and other delays it can take in excess of 18 weeks, it's just the way things are - the provision of initial funding, whilst promised early, wasn't provided until quite late in the year, thus, the City Council couldn't send the tender out until it had secured the funding in it's bank account - central gov makes many promises and backtracks - as we all know !

Perhaps it could have been completed by now, but only just - replacing a 10m deep embankment is easy for a temp army task, but to provide a permenant solution takes about a year with assessment, design, bid for funding, tender prep, euro tenders, award of contract, preliminaries and eventual build. I'm seeing reletively minor £2-5M projects just getting to site this year that I worked several years ago

No other city would stand for this - fair comment, but then we live in a western democratic world, were we can't just do thinks in the best interest of the people, we have to be democratically correct - if you want rapid road building, move to China, but don't expect a democratic vote on a moterway plan to smash through your family home and take your land ;¬)

There is another option. Make it a public right of way like it was for as long as anyone can remember before some bright spark decided to close it for profit. :rant::rant::rant::rant:

High Green and Chapeltown would both benefit from a route from High Green to M1 Jcn 35a.

Was it a public right of way or was it a private road and the owners never charged for its use or closed it off? If it's the latter then you cannot moan over it.

There is already a route from Chapeltown/High Green to the M1 J35a. Its called Tankerlsey roundabout (not really in Tankersley) and Thorncliffe exit on to this same road. You cannot make any other route due to geography.

Just to add to your woes....Wortley Road is being dug up and is currently down to one lane.....enjoy ;)

Yep, that was fun last night! ;)

I sort of hope that the work there isn't complete by the time the A61 closes though... because there'll be so much carnage with Sat-Nav users trying to use it as a cut-through they might get put off from trying it again!

if you want to spend £26 on a permit to get through Thorncliffe Industrial Estate

I had no idea they existed.

Is that £26 a week? a month? a year? a one-off fee?

Does anyone know what diverson's are in place now that this road is closed?

There is a link on the very first post of this thread.

It doesn't close until the 11th (i.e. tomorrow) at 7pm - so you have one more day of pain-less (or less painful) driving...

Anyone know the best alternative from Penistone road to M1 north? ...I don't trust my satnav!

my other half is planning on heading "up and over" past the northern general to meadowhall and getting on m1 there.

Anyone know the best alternative from Penistone road to M1 north? ...I don't trust my satnav!

Go via Ecclesfield up to Jnc 35 of the M1.

From Penistone Rd turn up Herries Rd ( opposite SWFC). left onto Wordsworth Ave. Down into Ecclesfield. then A6135- A629 up the hill to the

M1. There are direction signs in Ecclesfield to the M1.

my other half is planning on heading "up and over" past the northern general to meadowhall and getting on m1 there.

Yes - Herries Road to Meadowhall is the sensible way.