Sign in to follow this  

Gay Priests

Originally posted by halevan

, in my opinion for what it is worth is that Homosexuality is wrong mainly because it is unnatural and to me distastefull

Oh purrrleeez!! Are you living in a timewarp from a previous century or something?

Living in houses is "unnatural", as is driving cars, playing football, or having hetrosexual anal sex. Most of the things we do today aren't natural but it doesn't make them wrong.

Also, they should not be allowed to influence little children in their style of living as again, it could persuade the young ones to emulate them, because I would have objected if, when my children were young they had been subjected to mixing with this type of person.

I am very sorry Halevan but you seem to be severely blinded on this issue - saying that so is my husband.

If a person is gay they are born gay - they don't just decide to be gay at a point in their lives. I have many friends who are gay and lesbian. It doesn't rub off on other people so that they become gay it is part of their personal genetic make up.

Have you ever tried speaking to a person of this sexual persuasion or are you afraid you might become the same??

Also how would you know your children were mixing with this type of person?? Just how many people they went to school with were actually gay or lesbian?? I know of just two people at the moment who have now come 'out' about their sexuality after leaving our school. One at least was teased and bullied because he was ifeminate and it wasn't supprising to find out he was gay - it didn't rub off on others in the school. They didn't become gay just because they were in the same class as him!!

Now I cannot argue with you over the rights and wrongs of the homosexual communites lifestyle because that is really down to personal opinion - but your information is severely lacking.

Tell me were you one of those people who believed you could catch aids from the toilet seat or kissing??

Moon

xxxxxxxxxxx

Just to add my view Hal, I feel you are being extremely hypocritical on this issue. From my recollection of the bible S & G were destroyed not for homosexual practices but for adultery and fornication. From your previous posts I had assumed that you had undertaken the latter when you went away with your 'lady friend' given your 'nudge, nudge' comments (your words).

So if anyone should burn in hell given your criteria then, unfortunately, you'll find yourself right there with the rest.

Have a nice day. :D

Originally posted by huwj

What bothers me most is when people use their religion to justify extreme or outdated opinions or actions. Whether it's racism, homophobia, sexism, or bigotry of any kind. Most of these traits are born through fear and lack of understanding. Don't hide behind a bible, stand up and be counted for what you are!!!

I agree, but doesn't the bible condemn homosexuality? Therefore isn't a gay priest a contradiction? I'm not homophobic in the slightest and I don't think sexuality has anything to do with how well you can or can't do a job, but if priests are supposed to follow the bible then aren't they supposed to follow and practice everything that's in it? I agree that the word of the bible is pretty out of date with some of the aspects of the social environment of the 21st century, but does that mean parts of the bible can just be disregarded? Just for the record: I don't follow the bible but I thought that people who do should practice everything that's in it?

If you look at an earlier posting of mine I pointed out that most 'chrisitans' are selective of which part of the bible to follow. The most common hypocisy is by so called followers of Jesus. Jesus advocated turning the other cheek but it never ceases to amaze me that supposed christians call for the death penalty.

Many of the most uncharitable and money grabbing people i've known have called themselves Christians.

Perhaps what attracts some of them is that so long as you admit to your bad deeds in the confessional, it's ok to do what you want.

Each to their own but as far as I'm concerned Christianity is outdated form of brainwashing designed for population control (honest "god fearing" folk, etc) and for those who are afraid of dying and want the comfort of a perceived afterlife.

Sorry, but can we put the kebosh on the 'unnatural' bit as well. Many many species apart from humans practise same-sex recreation (for want of a better word:lol: ). They just don't show it often on the Beeb for whatever reason (although there was a programme about it recently). It's not just a human thing at all.

So what if a same-sex couple can't reproduce? Many heterosexual couples choose not to anyway, and the last time I looked we weren't suffering a shortage of humans on this planet.

I'm pleased this gay priest has been appointed, and I'm not even a Christian...I just think it's a step forward, and about time.

If you want to find paedophiles, look a bit closer to home. It's common knowledge that priests have been accused of this evil crime, but the sorry truth is, everyone on this board, everyone, most probably knows at least one person who has been abused and at least one who is an abuser. Neighbours, family members, and friends are the most common culprits.

Scary thought, eh?

I agree whole-heartedly, CrazyWolf. It annoys me that we get pages and pages of coverage when a child is abducted by a stranger but a tiny paragraph when it is a family member. IMO it is because people do not want to face up to the fact that there is more danger from family members than from strangers.

The same is true about paedophilia generally. There is a lot being made of priests accused of this abhorrant practice but this pales into insignificance when compared with the number of incidents of abuse by family members.

PS Congratulations to the new gay Anglican Bishop in America.

Oops...yes, Bishop...even better. Knew it was an important role, but my ears shut and brain switches off naturally at the first mention of religious goings-on, usually.

Originally posted by cosywolf

Sorry, but can we put the kebosh on the 'unnatural' bit as well. Many many species apart from humans practise same-sex recreation (for want of a better word:lol: ). They just don't show it often on the Beeb for whatever reason (although there was a programme about it recently). It's not just a human thing at all.

There are?? What species - because my husband swears there isn't any and I didn't have the info to fire back at him

Moon

I agree fully that stranger danger has been hightlighted by the tabloids out of all proportion, and the fact that most people are abused by family members has largely been swept under the carpet.

The significant issue with the "paedophile priests" in my mind is really the way that high ranking clergy chose to cover it up even when they knew what was occurring. This points to the church as a whole being an organisation that finds such activities acceptable.

Perhaps the raping of children is what christians mean by the "love of god"?