New Travel arrangements for those over 60yrs.

The English National Concession Pass for people over 60 yrs and applicable disabled people.

Following, one item of the Social Policy of the Labour Party, the Labour Government will from 1 April, 2008. Have issued a bus pass to all those over 60 years old and disabled people who meet its mobility criteria to those who have applied for one.

The pass will allow holders to travel on public bus or tram any where in Great Britain at anytime accept the morning peak periods. In practise all day after 9.30.am.

Because this national transport pass is issued by the Government, will this mean that the transportation policy presently locally applicable to South and West Yorkshire, which allows travel after 9.00.am. on Bus, Tram or train to continue?

Also because most buses going to or through the Peak District leave Sheffield usually half empty during the week day before 9.30.am. Are the bus times going to be altered or an allowance made to enable people to travel using their pass before 9.30.am?.

Note: Those who did not receive a letter or choose to ignore it can still apply.

The way it will work is everyone will get a national pass getting them free BUS travel between 09:30 and 23:00 on weekdays, any time at weekends, anywhere in England.

In addition, the pass will carry the logo of the holder's local transport authority, which will allow some additional concessions in their local area. Those with the Travel South Yorkshire logo will get the following additional benefits:

- Travel between 09:00 and 09:30 in South Yorkshire (Senior Citizen pass holders)

- Travel before 09:30 in South Yorkshire (Mobility pass holders)

- Travel after 23:00 (except on special night buses) in South Yorkshire

- Train travel in South Yorkshire

- Tram travel in South Yorkshire

As a Labour Party member, I acknowledging that this is a great positive step in the right direction. But one thing that concerns me is that most of the departure times for the busses out to the Peak District on Monday to Friday leave ' Half empty ' before nine thirty when the pass could be used.

I visualize that the,' English Nation Concession Pass ' will enable many people who would,' very much like ' but because of the expense,' Do not ' the means of getting out to places farther afield.

Could those that are involved seek some sort of agreement with transport providers in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire to make provision along the same lines as West Yorkshire?

The important part is free LOCAL public transport, anywhere in England.

I think that you need 14 buses, leapfrogging local authorities, to get to London.

I'm soon to become a twerrly. is it 9:30 yet or am i twerrly?:D

I think that you need 14 buses, leapfrogging local authorities, to get to London.

I believe, but by NO means certain that,' National Travel ' run a scheme where bye a elderly person can pay a same subscription then travel almost anywhere by coach at certain times for £10.00.

THAT may not be correct but worth a phone call.

The main point about the local bus travel is it will allow people out to view our lovely countryside for nothing. ( A social Benefit ).

The only thing wrong is the times of the local bus. Most leave half empty before 09.30 am. If these times were brought to 09.00 am a lot of people will benefit including those who run busses as a business.

The only thing wrong is the times of the local bus. Most leave half empty before 09.30 am. If these times were brought to 09.00 am a lot of people will benefit including those who run busses as a business.

A thought occurs: are those buses (or some of them) funded by the local authority; and if so, would it not make sense to alter their start times to 9.35?

As far as I understand it, if you board a bus that leaves Sheffield after 9, and doesn't enter another council area until after 9.30, you're in the clear anyway. I could be wrong; I have 20-odd years to go before I will care about this. :hihi:

Someone did this 2-3months ago on SF when the scheme got passed. He checked with all the timetables and also stated all bus numbers and times from here to London and I think you may be right about the 14 buses, the only down side to this is that it took about 16hours leapfrogging from one bus to another. It just proved it could be done.

It makes full sense for it to go national now. Before the free scheme was introduced different local authorities charged pensioners differently. Once the new scheme came in it made no sense not to extend it. Although we will be subsidising those coming into SYorks, it will only be the same vice versa

Although we will be subsidising those coming into SYorks, it will only be the same vice versa

True in theory, but places like Blackpool, Yarmouth etc. have a hell of a lot more people visiting them than most other councils. They face a funding shortfall, since all of those pensioner holidaymakers must be subsidized with free bus fares.