Old Education Building Leopold Street

Originally posted by Tim42

yes I have seen the building. It looks awful. more slabs of glass & flat pack city. If only the buildings just looked good, that would be great. I know the council needs money but we are living in a truly ugly city

I agree looking at the building its got character looks like an old castle it was built to last and by craftsman. could you imagine them knocking the Shambles down to build new shops.:rant:

I like the building, I think its beautiful!

I like the building too. I work near it and every time I walk past it I think it's such a waste... all those rooms... all those floors... the old deep cuboards etc, etc.

Wouldn't it be fantastic to black out the windows, have flickering lights on and use it for laserquesting!! :headbang:

Eugh!

It really is lovely though. I love all the old detail that shows its history. Pulling stuff down like that is terrible, but so is filling it with stuff that will ruin the original features.

Well, as I understand things the building on Leopold Street is about to be given a new lease of life rather than be demolished. The plans include creating a new public square so we can all access the courtyard in the middle of this complex, something that has been shut away from us for decades. Also, the plans look as if they will incorporate many original features and they seem to be quite sympathetic of this old building's character.

I would rather this building is developed in the way it is about to be than stand empty for another 20 years and ends in such a state of delapidation that it must be pulled down.

M

That sounds a good idea Mattski.. I hope it becomes something thats actually open to the public.

Originally posted by Mattski

Well, as I understand things the building on Leopold Street is about to be given a new lease of life rather than be demolished. The plans include creating a new public square so we can all access the courtyard in the middle of this complex, something that has been shut away from us for decades. Also, the plans look as if they will incorporate many original features and they seem to be quite sympathetic of this old building's character.

I would rather this building is developed in the way it is about to be than stand empty for another 20 years and ends in such a state of delapidation that it must be pulled down.

M

But the notices in the windows say it due for demolition.:confused:

Bikertec,

Some parts of the building will be demolished in much the same way that a rose bush needs to be pruned to allow the flower to bloom. The parts to be brought down have little historic or architectural merit.

M

'Courtyard'? Well they must be doing a lot more than 'pruning'. My Dad and Uncle were both Caretakers from the 70s to the 80s and I had a few visits to the education services offices in Leopold Street.

The only 'courtyard' I can imagine being referrred to is a completely surrounded, none too big bog standard school yard, with little light and less access.

If you're interested in the what the finished scheme is going to look loike take a look at the leopold square website. There will be 8 or 9 restaurants &/or bars, plus the 92 bed hotel. It should be open by late spring '07. http://www.leopoldsq.com.

They are fantastic historic buildings, a rare thing in Sheffield, and will be put to use once again. Very good news I say.

Oh God, that picture with the pointy bit stuck on the old building looks vile ... not particularly sympathetic to the character at all.

TSorry Hazel The central technical school was the Junior Technical School in 1938 when I attended Originally Bang on the corner of West St and Leopole St The Education Building was next door on Leopole st Going towards the Grand Hotel and the Town Hall Signed Old Man