Asda Handsworth Complaint - Alcohol Sales - new over 25 rule

The rules are set out everywhere.

If you look under 21 you will get I.D'd. Take it as a compliment and bring your I.D next time.

As an off licence they have the right to refuse sale to anyone.

Eventhough this case is alittle anoying for yourself (and me reading it in anoying red type!) you havn't even got half a leg to stand on.

Alcohol restrictions are becoming very tight in this country. Live by the rules (i.e bring your I.D next time) and you won't have a problem.

The supermarket won't risk a sale without I.D becuase they could lose there licence over it. And the cashier won't risk a sale because he/she would be liable to a £1000 on the spot fine.

I wouldn't go anywhere without my I.D

What if you were mugged, and you were knocked out. No-one would know who you were.

Its sensible to carry I.D

I don't think you've read all of my post. I agree with the decision to ask for ID if you look under 21. What Asda have said is that they now have a policy whereby if you look under 25 they will ID you. But this is up to each individual cashier.

I do not take it as a compliment. I see it as a waste of my time each time I go to buy alcohol at my nearest store. Asda Handsworth is the closest shop to me. It's where I go for my milk, newspaper etc.

I also do not see why I should have to carry identification each time I go there indending to buy alcohol. The only ID I have is my passport, and I do not intend to carry that with me each time I go there.

Also, I used the 'red type' to indicate the email that I have sent to Asda. To differentiate between my post on the forum and what I had sent to them. It was not meant to be annoying or indicate that I was annoyed, rather to show the difference between my post here and what was sent to them earlier.

And as for not having a half a leg to stand on, as I was actually served eventually, without having to produce any ID, I think I do.

So basically you got served anyway, but your issue is with the level of customer service? In which case you have the choice of taking your custom elsewhere, voting with your feet.

It's not really fair to blame the assistant for carding you in the first place, that's what she's meant to do. If her attitude didn't come up to standard, that's a seperate issue.

You're a safe target

<snip>

In other words, Welcome To England.

top rant! :thumbsup:

If the cashier doesn't demand ID, then she risks a thousand pound fine, payable by HER, not by Asda.

How small of a risk would you be prepared to take? I wouldn't sell any alcohol to anybody at all without ID, no matter if they looked a hundred.

Maybe when people drop this ridiculous attitude that it's somehow "embarassing" to them to be asked for identification, then they won't get so upset about it any more...

You wouldn't sell alcohol to someone without ID even if they looked 'a hundred'? What a ridiculous statement and frame of mind. And at the age of 26, almost 27, yes, I did find it embarassing. Especially the attitude of the cashier, who spoke to me like complete s**t in front of large queues of other customers.

Strange really that you were anoyed at being asked, when I was asked last week I thought she was joking as I am 62 but no she meant it:huh:

So basically you got served anyway, but your issue is with the level of customer service? In which case you have the choice of taking your custom elsewhere, voting with your feet.

It's not really fair to blame the assistant for carding you in the first place, that's what she's meant to do. If her attitude didn't come up to standard, that's a seperate issue.

I got served anyway, because I refused to move until I was served the alcohol. I had to await a supervisor to come over, who refused to say whether or not I looked under age. She told the cashier it was up to her.

My issue is with the new 'if you look under 25, you will be asked for ID'.

If I had excepted her opinion, I would have walked off. I was only served because I caused a fuss and wouldn't move from the till.

If she really did think I was under 18, or looked under 21 or 25, why did she then end up serving me anyway - without producing ID?

You wouldn't sell alcohol to someone without ID even if they looked 'a hundred'? What a ridiculous statement and frame of mind.

No, what's ridiculous is expecting other people to risk being clobbered with fines they can't afford, just because you don't care to waste one second of your life.

Just be grateful I wasn't in the queue behind you. I'd have sent an email complaining about the manager refusing to call security and have you booted out of the place. If this is your attitude, Asda are better off without you.

I agree with evolution200...

"I wouldn't sell any alcohol to anybody at all without ID, no matter if they looked a hundred" is a ridiculous thing to say...

Somedays i read posts like this and feel that there are so many more important issue's to worry about...

No, what's ridiculous is expecting other people to risk being clobbered with fines they can't afford, just because you don't care to waste one second of your life.

Just be grateful I wasn't in the queue behind you. I'd have sent an email complaining about the manager refusing to call security and have you booted out of the place. If this is your attitude, Asda are better off without you.

What would be ridiculous is asking for somebody who looked 'a hundred' for ID to buy alcohol. Not arguing with you, just pointing out the fact that your post is ridiculous and accounts to flaming. I did nothing at all that could have justified security 'booting me out'.

If she really did think I was under 18, or looked under 21 or 25, why did she then end up serving me anyway - without producing ID?

Probalby because her supervisor or whoever had been drilling into everyone the new policy, and she was thinking of her job. If said supervisor then suggested it would be resonable to serve you, and you were about to make a stink if she didn't, well, what would most people do?

I know hansworth have had mystery shoppers under 18 with beards,he was served at least twice,when this happens the store is in for the high jump, as is the cashier.You cant blame the cashiers for being over protective,although it does sound like some innocent off the cuffs remarks didnt help the situation.