Asda Handsworth Complaint - Alcohol Sales - new over 25 rule

Why is it so embarrassing??..it's only embarrassing if you kick up a fuss and make a big deal out of it, which you clearly have done.

What the worst that has happened??..you have had to leave without your booze!!!

I get wound up by busybodies like you who feel the need to write pointless letters, find something to whine about on a regular basis and like to inform everyone else how hard done to they've been..get some perspective for gods sake, grow some balls and deal with the matter appropriately..i.e accept the decision, go away and get some ID, bring it back and buy the booze..job done, lesson learnt.

Perhaps you should have a think on why you get so wound up about this :)

I work in food retail as a store manager and what a lot of people aren`t aware of is that the police carry out "test purchases" where they send young people into shops to try and catch sales assistants selling to underage people. They often use young people who look old enough to purchase alcohol in an attempt to fool the assistant.If the assistant fails the test purchase this then leads to the assistant receiving an "on the spot £80 fine " from the police and disciplinary action from the employer ( with possible loss of employment in some cases). If a store is caught twice in a 12 month period the store could have their license revoked and be fined, and without an alcohol license the shop may not be profitable enough to be kept open. So staff are constantly being reminded if in doubt refuse the sale !!! Also , can I point out that most stores/companies are now operating a policy where you must ask for ID if the customer looks under 25 - Have you any idea how difficult this can be to judge ?? Sorry to the people who are put out by this but have a little sympathy for the sales assistants who are just doing their job !!!! In which other line of work do you run the risk of a fine for just doing your job ? If you think that being asked for ID at the till is embarrassing , it is nothing compared to the embarrassment the assistant would feel if they served an underage customer or failed a test purchase. Please , why can't we cut the poor , downtrodden shop worker some slack for once ???

I work in food retail as a store manager and what a lot of people aren`t aware of is that the police carry out "test purchases" where they send young people into shops to try and catch sales assistants selling to underage people. They often use young people who look old enough to purchase alcohol in an attempt to fool the assistant.If the assistant fails the test purchase this then leads to the assistant receiving an "on the spot £80 fine " from the police and disciplinary action from the employer ( with possible loss of employment in some cases). If a store is caught twice in a 12 month period the store could have their license revoked and be fined, and without an alcohol license the shop may not be profitable enough to be kept open. So staff are constantly being reminded if in doubt refuse the sale !!! Also , can I point out that most stores/companies are now operating a policy where you must ask for ID if the customer looks under 25 - Have you any idea how difficult this can be to judge ?? Sorry to the people who are put out by this but have a little sympathy for the sales assistants who are just doing their job !!!! In which other line of work do you run the risk of a fine for just doing your job ? If you think that being asked for ID at the till is embarrassing , it is nothing compared to the embarrassment the assistant would feel if they served an underage customer or failed a test purchase. Please , why can't we cut the poor , downtrodden shop worker some slack for once ???

I think most people understand that 'test purchases' take place and that the age/ID issue can be a source of stress for sales assistants.

Equally valid, however, are the concerns of those who disagree with compulsory ID and it's implications for civil liberty, perhaps you should try and see their point of view, just as you want them to see yours- this isn't a black and white clear cut issue- both sides have good good reasons for their views.

One thing stores could do is try to ensure that some of the more extreme instances cease to occur, such as those where people of 40+ who could never be mistaken for under 18 are asked for ID.