My cat is dying

Please watch her and do not let her suffer, it is a very hard decision but one you sometimes have to make,your partner may be adamant but he is only thinking of himself, and how he will feel, let the vet have a look at her and see what he thinks, in an ideal world we would all like our pets to die in their sleep peacefully at home, but sometimes it takes an awful lot of pain and distress for the animal to get to that,

Believe me I have been through this many times and I know the heartbreak only too well, but you have to be very brave.

I have to agree I'm afraid.

I am really sorry to hear about your cat Bev2, i know just what your going through because I'm in a similar position with one of my dogs at the moment and it hurts, I have been literally losing sleep about what to do for a couple of weeks.

Personally I think if an animal is not in pain or suffering leave it be, but if it suffers or is hurting or loses its dignity, then we owe them a peaceful and dignified end, surrounded by the people who love them, after all isn't that what we would want for ourselves?

Ah Bev. I am soo sorry for your family. It is always tough when a member of your family is so ill. The bravest and kindest thing you can do is to request a home visit for her. At least you will know one way or the other. Perhaps you might consider putting her tray and bowls upstairs near her so she doesn't have so far to go. It will help her save her strength and retain her dignity.

When the time comes there is a Pet Crem on the Manchester Rd in Rivelin Valley.

Be strong for her, it is the kindest thing you can do.

my heart goes out to you all,i lost 2 cats within 1 month of each other last year,ive used pcs at doncaster and the 1 on rivelin road,but were excellent dealing with my pets,they are at home with me now,please do what you feel is best ,forget what people say,they are family,xxx

Any news on Poppy, bev?

hi all . Poppy is pretty much the same. we would like her to stay with us but as soon as we see she is in pain we will take her straight to the vet, i had some advice from my friends daughter who is a trainee vet and she reassured me she would not be in any pain. She's happy to plod up and down the stairs to go out for a little trot round although we have put her food upstairs she still comes down for a walk.

We have had some lovely ideas of where poppy could be cremated and i'm sure she might even make it to the caravan when it opens at the end of this month as she loves it there. i'll keep you informed of her progress. x

hi hun, im sorry to hear about poppy,my cat died in my living room in a lot of pain, nice to hear shes not hurting like he did,

he became ill oneday and started crying and being sick, i rushed him to the vet and was told he had cat aids and to take him home and bring him back the next day for tests, sadly i never got the chance, he died that night, in so much pain, he was screaming really loud, i rang the vet and begged him to come put him to sleep, they wouldnt come as it was 11pm and told me to make him comfy and i was very angry by this, how could i, bless him, it still hurts when i think of him then but now hes not hurting anymore, then 1 year later his sister got killed by a fox, i saw her and was devastated, she was a mess.then this new year my fluffy loulou got out and got run over straight away, her first time out too, i found her, she was unreconisable to some but i knew it was her.

its really good your cat has lived 18 years wow. all mine were only young and suffered terrible deaths, it kills me to think what they went through. my babies. you little poppy sounds lovley and i hope she goes nicely, they are part of the family so its not silly at all, good luck hun, and give poppy a kiss for me

a lot of great advice here for you bev2, when the time comes, i hope you'll assess how she is and act accordingly. She's made a grand old age and it sonds like she's still fighting to survive now.

Oh loubylou im sorry to hear what you went through it sounds terrible. I keep coming on here to see how poppy is, hope your ok bev xx

Hi all , we are taking Poppy to the vet tonight as there is nothing we can do for her now. she was up and about yesterday , she kept going out side and she was even jumping up onto a garden chair to sit and watch the world go by as she loves to do. today she cant even pick her head up off her bed. i have given her water and some freshly cooked chicken but she is not interested.

we have made the decision to take her to the vet tonight as we feel today she has deteriorated so much and we don't want her to suffer at all. She is a lovely cat and we will all miss her but i cant let her suffer. We will be taking her ashes down to our caravan and she will be where she loves to be. Thank you all for your support. x

Awww I'm sorry that Poppy has deteriorated now, it sounds though as if she has been quite happy pottering about for a little while longer and made the most of her time with you.

Poppy sounds tired now, time to let her fall gently asleep,she is lucky to have you to make sure that she is safe and loved and just be there for her.

Lots of us have been there many times with our pets and it hurts.... will think about you tonight ((HUGZ))

I'm sure you are making the right decision, it is obvious you love her very much and this will be very hard for you,

I have a cat who is 18, he has a tumour on his mouth but at the moment he is quite well eating and still quite active,

but I know he cant go on forever

eventually the vet has said it will effect his ability to eat and when that happens I will have to make the decision, and you are the only ones who know Poppy enough to make this decision, and to know when the time is right, and as loving and caring owners we always know.

Its the last thing you can do for her, the most horrendous thing is to watch an animal and not be able to do anymore,

but at least with our pets we have the ability to end their suffering.

The vets should let you stay with her, and she will just go to sleep,

so please be brave and try to remember all the happy times you had, especially at the caravan where she will always be on holiday, with you

My heart goes out to you on this sad day xx

Just to add, if you need them Pets at Rest 01909723100 are excellent, and so caring

My darling little Poppy died at 4.30 this afternoon. she waited until my partner came in from work and he was knelt down stroking her when she passed away peacefully. We rang the vet and took her up we left her there to be cremated. We will be able to pick her up in about 10 days to take her to our caravan to scatter her ashes.

I have found a picture of her in her favorite place , i think you should see the lady we have been taking about. she was well known around here for her personality and the only cat on Gleadless Valley to have an asbo for fighting the dogs.

R.I.P my Pops. xxx

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/beverleyb_2007/SP_A0018.jpg