Base Green history?

Which book is that from? Looks interesting...

Which book is that from? Looks interesting...

It is from a limited edition book which I got free from the library at Gleadless.I went back for a second copy for my brother but they had all gone.I asked if they would be printing any more and she said no because the money had run out.It is called "Around The Nab" by FABCO Local History Group.

Thought I'd give this a *bump* back up...

Wasn't part of the boundary between Yorkshire and Derbyshire the Shire Brook which goes through Jaunty Park?

Yes the boundary was the Shire brook the houses at the bottom of Jaunty Crescent were in Sheffield and the rest were in Derbyshire. I had friends from the bottom of the road who went to Sheffield schools and I went to Frecheville.

That could be true because one side had yellow lights(Sheffield) & the other side has white Lights (Derbyshire).Looking down towards Basegreen.

The top end of Seagrave Road, Crescent etc., were built in the 1930s the bottom end near Jaunty Lane were built in 1952.

A small bit of info I learned yesterday..

We got the results of the environmental survey on our new house back yesterday. One thing it mentions is any quarrying and/or landfills in a 500m radius (of the Northern end of Lister Way). It's not very specific (and I can't remember the details as I'm at work and left the report at home lol) but it mentions a small quarry which was later filled in at the Eastern end of Seagrave Avenue, which now sits directly underneath someones house...

Also, we're now waiting results of a mining surevy as the area has been extensively mined for coal in the past.

Yes!!!! I lived at number 3 Lister Way, if it's that house your buying think twice....seriously in really bad weather we had a stream running under the floorboards, about sixfoot down but a stream non the less.

The whole estate is riddled with little springs.

The estate was built on farmland in the early sixties, the stream that runs behind Basegreen Crescent is the start of Shirebrook, which also served as the border between South Yorkshire and Derbyshire.

Many happy childhood memories, very close to long walks on a sunday afternoon in the countryside.:hihi: Need to know more, just ask.

Yes!!!! I lived at number 3 Lister Way, if it's that house your buying think twice....seriously in really bad weather we had a stream running under the floorboards, about sixfoot down but a stream non the less.

The whole estate is riddled with little springs.

The estate was built on farmland in the early sixties, the stream that runs behind Basegreen Crescent is the start of Shirebrook, which also served as the border between South Yorkshire and Derbyshire.

Many happy childhood memories, very close to long walks on a sunday afternoon in the countryside.:hihi: Need to know more, just ask.

As an extra, there was a Quarry at the end of Quarry Vale, Jaunty park, the mining came from the old Birley Pit which had around 4 heads to it.

Nothing much to worry about, as the houses on Basegreen are sound and have not moved in anyway.

We moved in in May - not number 3 fortunately!

Amongst all the documents we got from the solicitors after we'd moved were copies of some really old papers relating to the original purchase of the land the estate was built on. I think it said somewhere that the whole area was bought for about £17,000.

Could scan them in if anybody was interested in having a look...

Thanks for the info puddinburner btw :)

We moved in in May - not number 3 fortunately!

Amongst all the documents we got from the solicitors after we'd moved were copies of some really old papers relating to the original purchase of the land the estate was built on. I think it said somewhere that the whole area was bought for about £17,000.

Could scan them in if anybody was interested in having a look...

Thanks for the info puddinburner btw :)

Was the name on the sellers bit Fidler? old Frank was the farmer opposite The old Harrow, not sure if he also owned The old Basegreen Farm too or it could have been the other big farming families of Rhodes and cartilledge.

We had real fun School times at Charnock when his cows used to escape onto our playing field..lol They sometimes ventured as far as Jaunty Park too, which was hillarious, seeing the bobbies from Hackenthorpe chasing them all over.:hihi: