Collecting plastic milk bottle tops for charity

i collect them for a wheelchair user he gets 5p per lid i send mine 2 a home 4 the elderly

More details then please! Otherwise, it seems the bin men get them on Thursday!

My brother is collecting the milk bottle caps as they are used to be melted down and made in prosthesis limbs for injured forces. The caps are of the right density for this. Hope this helps.

Hi Nise 52,

We didn't know you could melt down milk bottle tops to make limbs for injured forces - that's a great idea!

It's a story we'd love to cover in our news bulletins - is there a number we can call you on to find out more? Or you can give us a call on 0114 209 1010 if you fancy it - it'd be good to hear from you.

Thanks.

My brother is collecting the milk bottle caps as they are used to be melted down and made in prosthesis limbs for injured forces. The caps are of the right density for this. Hope this helps.

Any info on this would be great, always looking at ways to help and this is a fantastic way to help.

Hi Nise 52,

We didn't know you could melt down milk bottle tops to make limbs for injured forces - that's a great idea!

It's a story we'd love to cover in our news bulletins - is there a number we can call you on to find out more? Or you can give us a call on 0114 209 1010 if you fancy it - it'd be good to hear from you.

Thanks.

I thought that Nise's post was a scam but would like to know if I was wrong. I'm not in Sheffield so don't get hallamfm:( so would love hallamfm or Nise to post on here again letting me know the validity of Nise's claim.

I now have no reason to believe that this is not a hoax. It's bin day tomorrow in my village, my bin will just be fuller. No-one has come up with a definite place to send these things. Thanks for your added interest HallamFM. Sorry I restarted this thread.

I now have no reason to believe that this is not a hoax. It's bin day tomorrow in my village, my bin will just be fuller. No-one has come up with a definite place to send these things. Thanks for your added interest HallamFM. Sorry I restarted this thread.

Is that your recycling bin?

Yep, the plastics recycling bin at Greendale, Dronfield

Hi all, As far as i know this milk bottle top collection is not ascam, my brother was in the forces and had quite a lot to do with veterans etc. I will be speaking to him over the weekend so i can get more info about this. Radio Hallam I will be in touch when I have more info next week. Thankyou for all the interest, it is a very good cause, and I will do all I can to help.

Thanks again.

Thanks Nise52, I will hang on to them for a few more days then!

there is a foundation in singapore / thailand area called the Prothesis Foundation that recycles ONE particular type of metal jar lid from a product called Brand and either uses the metal skimmed off after melting down, or uses the finance from reccycling the metal for replacement limbs. But not in the UK. the rinternational red cross did do somehting in afghanistan for local amputees though, using any material they could get their hands on.

the melted down for limbs is a worldwide continuation myth /hoax of this. there are even rumours that the whole hoax stems from Cambodia, or from even before the Great Depression (think war time meltdown of railings etc for planes)

again, why not recycle toners cartridges or mobile phones and get money for the charities that way? quicker faster and higher grossing in monetary terms. or even organise a clothing collection and uses the profits from recycling /sellinjg on the clothes - am sure we all get the bags through the door!!

BLESMA - british limbless ex servicemen assoc is the UK forces amputee charity and they would like money donations from any kind of fund raising

just google it all - the hoaxes are plain to see, numerous and worldwide. its like chinese whispers of charity and recycling.

xgx

Edited by xgrifterx
spelling

I do know that the Go Kids charity that supplies wheelchairs to kids definiteloy did collect bottle tops and that Blue Peter collected them together with several well known supermarkets for this charity. That was certainly not a scam. I suggest you look up the charity and see if they still collect as they are certainly collecting them in Norton Lees for the said charity.