How far back do I go on cv

Yes, is the simple answer. Keep it short though and list all your attributes.

do I included all of my working career as it is over 30 years

Definitely, but as the previous poster says, keep it short: the relevance of the finer detail dwindles with time.

As far as qualifications go, I think something along the lines of Four 'O'-levels: English, Chemistry, Maths & Biology would be fine. No need for the examination board and precise date etc. They'll be expecting you to have taken them so long ago that such information will be irrelevant now. Of course, if you have a lot, say twelve 'O'-levels, I wouldn't even bother to state which ones!

I'd do detail for 2 years,

Summary for the next 8

List of From, to, Company Name, Position, reason for leaving, Leaving salary for the rest

The advice I was given when jobhunting, was to pare the CV down, to cover no more than two sides of A4 paper.

oh, and list the relevant possitions, eg, don't put the temping as a warehouse hand if you were applying for a nursing post, and vice versa,

The advice I was given when jobhunting, was to pare the CV down, to cover no more than two sides of A4 paper.

oh, and list the relevant possitions, eg, don't put the temping as a warehouse hand if you were applying for a nursing post, and vice versa,

Thats the same advice i was given, tho it doesn't really make any difference in my trade.

I'd put everything down but only go into detail on the recent ones, ones relevant to the posts you are applying for, and any particularly interesting ones. That way you don't have unexplained gaps where they'll assume you were in prison.

I was told recently that any qualifications over 10 years old do not count, however that is clearly rediculous, because if I were to provide a CV with the nationally recognised academic qualifications I have got in the last 3 years and none of the ones from 20 years ago, a prospective employer would get a wholly incorrect impression of my skills and expertise.

I was told recently that any qualifications over 10 years old do not count, however that is clearly rediculous, because if I were to provide a CV with the nationally recognised academic qualifications I have got in the last 3 years and none of the ones from 20 years ago, a prospective employer would get a wholly incorrect impression of my skills and expertise.
Thats true. they wouldn't know you passed a bunch of exams two decades ago that are now out of date

When mine was last used I detailed all the relevant jobs and summarised everything else, back to year dot. Whether or not you want to cut it to this 2 pages or whatever is up to you. In my area it makes little difference since CVs tend to get distributed by electronic docs anyway.

When I wrote the most recent version of my CV, I took it to an interview at a disabled specific Agency last year, and some suited fool told me to my face it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on because I don't have written references to back any of it up! I'm sorry but ***?! Pardon me for working my butt off for NO PAY for the last 17 years in various VOLUNTARY jobs! :rant:

What I'm saying is that sometimes you can have the most impressive CV ever, and you still will be told to "go away" by a potential employer! I've had it done to me every time I've applied for a "proper" (not voluntary) job! I mean come on it's not like I've got no experience or qualifications, I did 2 years at Loxley College on an NVQ retail course, and several computer courses including RSA Word Processing over the years!