The "I am currently reading" thread

discodown

Just whizzed through 'The Sleeping Tiger' by D.M. Devine (also known as Dominic Devine - this title seems to have been published under both names). He was a much underrated crime novelist who died in 1980 but produced a stream of really good books in the 60s and 70s; I've never been disappointed by one of his yet.

Now onto a bit of lighter fare with 'Garden Rubbish' by Sellars & Yeatman; they also did the much more well known '1066 and all that'.

I love that book. It's full of awful people, described in fabulously mocking terms, all of whom get exactly what they deserve. It's incredibly satisfying.

It's not the first time I've been unable to get along with a book everyone else seems to love!

• 2 weeks later...

After a few charity table forgettable fillers, I've just started on Role Models by John Waters. It's an interesting collection of pieces about his inspirations, but as ever its more about him!. I always enjoy his writing :love:

• 3 weeks later...

Last read: N or M by Agatha Christie. Wartime effort in which the Beresfords hunt the mastermind behind a spy ring in a seaside boarding house. Quite entertaining but very easy to spot the villain.

Now reading: Hagar of the Pawn-Shop by Fergus Hume. For those who have that cartoon strip in mind, this Hagar is not a Viking but instead a gipsy girl who takes over a pawn-shop in a poor part of London and encounters various adventures based on its customers. Hume was English but grew up in New Zealand and Australia, where he published his first book, The Mystery of a Hansom Cab, which became the best selling detective story of the time. Unfortunately he'd sold the rights for £50 so never saw any of the proceeds, and he struggled to repeat its sucess with any of his (many) later books. I'm rather enjoying this one. Someone on Goodreads has been daft enough to complain about its racial stereotyping, but surely if you want to read something that's politically correct you wouldn't pick a book written in 1898?

Insidious Intent by Val McDermid. Latest in her series featuring Tony Hill and Carol Jordan. Good page turner but it's not one that will stick in my mind.

I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Insidious Intent by Val McDermid. Latest in her series featuring Tony Hill and Carol Jordan. Good page turner but it's not one that will stick in my mind.

I was the same with that one... Apart from the *obvious* bit, I can't actually remember much of it, and it was only a couple of weeks ago.:|

---------- Post added 18-06-2018 at 12:54 ----------

I'm having a bit of a book clear out. Does anyone fancy a load of Jo Nesbo books before they hit the charity table?

I'm in S6, but often in S1