News? Boy Falls From Broomhall Flats

Someone has told me that a boy has 'fallen' from the flats at the bottom of Ecclesall road.. has anybody heard about this? I walk past those flats almost daily..

I'm stuck at work so I just wondered what people have heard..

Chris.

Thanks..

I dont get how it works, Det Supt Tony Thompson says "We are not entirely sure what has happened" .. but the "police arrested six people, four women and two men"

I'm just curious how far it can go, getting arrested "under suspicion for.." ?

How long can you hold someone for without charging them?

Depends what category of Chechen rebel you were posting hiking boots too. In this case i think it’s 24hrs but they can apply for extra time if needed.

24 Hours rang a bell from movies, but i'm still scared of Poltergeist so I thought I better ask.

96 hours total

36 at first, with Superintendents authority, then another 36, then another 24, with magistrates approval.

What a wonderful world we co-habit :gag:

the lad was named on the calendar news tonight. (I will save the family their sensitivities, by not repeating his name on here) save to say that he was a somalian lad.

what a terrible thing to have happened.

PT

unbelieveable to think i was working right opposite when this happened...

There is a lot more to the story than the papers will have you believe, trust me. Regardless, a real tragedy for anyone concerned. That said, the papers will inevitably come up with some story about how this thing is a shame "at this time of year". As if its not a shame when someone dies in May or some other non Christmas time of year!!!

This is not really a comment on the above case but something about language.

Has anyone noticed how the media manipulate the words "lad" and "man". ?

In Iraq if any of our soldiers are killed some newspapers will talk about "our lads",even though some of them are about 30 years old. Similarly,with our footballers ,"Our lads locked up in Italian Jail" Even though some of them are perhaps about 30 years old, the press try to give the impression that they're about 15.

However,if two lads of ,say 17, kill or attack a pensioner, the headlines usually read, "

"Men attack pensioner......etc..."

Tonight's report about the "boy" plunging from the flats at Broomhall is a classic example.Surely,he's not a boy ,but a young man or a youth.

The worst example is when they describe hulking 17 year-old youths as "children" who must,of course be treated with kid gloves,come what may !

My brother lives next door to where this happened. From what I can gather the bloke "fell" from the bedroom window.

There have been a few incidents at that flat over the last few months.