Work starting on Parkhill flats today

I had a look at these plans last year and I thought they looked quite nice. The main problem is going to be policing the area as drug deals & car thefts happen pretty much daily in and around that area and policing the place is going to be a nightmare, especially while work is going on. How many vans are going to get damaged/broken into and how much equipment/tools will go missing. The first block (opposite park square) is crawling with smackheads so sorting out security and decent policing should definately be a priority before any tradesmen start doing their work.

I really hope they can make it work though. :)

Have you seen the plans? laughable

I've seen them, and sorry, I didn't get the joke.:huh: I actually think that people will want to live there once they've been done up. The views from Parkhill are stunning - the location is extremely convenient, and it will be a mixed community. By that I mean some flats will be for sale, some for rent, both private and social. Most of the tenants have already been rehoused.

I've seen them, and sorry, I didn't get the joke.:huh: I actually think that people will want to live there once they've been done up. The views from Parkhill are stunning - the location is extremely convenient, and it will be a mixed community. By that I mean some flats will be for sale, some for rent, both private and social. Most of the tenants have already been rehoused.

The block opposite Ponds Forge has been completely empty for over a year. They're working on that block over the first 4 years and I'm assuming that the other blocks will be evacuated and tenants rehoused during this time. Plenty of work there for the right people......if they can keep the worksite secure. :)

If they can keep the right sort of people in there then i see no reason why it shouldnt lose its bad reputation and become somewhere people want to live. As said before it is very convenient and central.

I live on parkhill and were not all riff raff. Get your facts right.

I live on parkhill and were not all riff raff. Get your facts right.

If you read all the posts on this thread, you'll see that there are people who support the improvements and haven't insulted all the people who live there. Of course there are decent people in the flats, but you know there have been some problems. With the changes that are planned, I hope Parkhill once again becomes a place where people actually choose to live.

The Parkhill flats are a monstrosity council estate and the worst kind of council housing council overall. To make it worst it’s a listed building WHY? I can’t understand why the building was not taken off the listed building list and demolished it’s an eye sore and an embracement to Sheffield housing. Even when they modernise it I can’t see any professionals living there as there are brand new trendy apartments being built in the city.

i dont think it is a shame on sheffield housing as theese were built in the 50s and were very modern at them times. Every building has a shelf life and needs updating this time its Parkhill.

I grew up on the Hyde Park flats before they were improved, for anyone who doesn't remember these were the same style of flats as Park Hill. If they are anything like them they should be ok, if a little over the top on security with a 24 hour security guard monitoring everyone in or out of the flats.

As we know these style of flats have had their problems but can be a great place to live.

The Parkhill flats are a monstrosity council estate and the worst kind of council housing council overall. To make it worst it’s a listed building WHY? I can’t understand why the building was not taken off the listed building list and demolished it’s an eye sore and an embracement to Sheffield housing. Even when they modernise it I can’t see any professionals living there as there are brand new trendy apartments being built in the city.

Thats not a fact, thats your opinion - which of course you are entitled to. However, I think that if the developers thought yours was the majority opinion they wouldn't be ploughing shedloads of money into the refurbishment. The Urban Splash website:http://www.urbansplash.co.uk/Default.aspx?id=144&area=25&detailID=568

I'll reserve judgement til I see how it progresses.

I wonder what will happen when they're finished. If I've got it right, there were about 1000 properties up there. When they're finished, only 200 are intended to be social housing, so that's 800 more city centre apartments. Aren't we already reaching over-supply of these kinds of properties in Sheffield? I'm hearing that investors who bought the run-of-the-mill 1 & 2 bed apartments in the city centre are already struggling to let many of them.

Parkhill could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I can see the flats in Park Hill becoming very desirable. They're much bigger than your standard city centre flats, with a good mix of 1 - 3 beds. Also, as has been said the views are great, and the location is good and central. Add to that the bars and cafes, the facilities, the quality refurb that Urban Splash will no doubt do, the large supply of parking. This will be better than all but the best modern housing estates and probably for a similar price.