Smuggled Cigarettes?

I don't think anyone has really suggested (in this thread anyway) that cigarettes are taxed heavily to stop people smoking (though I guess it is kind of an unspoken assumption).

The only argument that has been used is that people who put themselves at a greater risk should contribute more tax. (in much the same way that you need to take out insurance to do some dangerous sports)

OK then define 'greater risk'... cigarette smokers pay more tax than non-smokers anyway, so we've covered ourselves in our purchase. Maybe we should tax fat people's clothing as they cost the NHS more too... or a wheelchair tax - as people with long term illnesses cost the NHS more too - would that be better?

Originally posted by Agent Dan

OK then define 'greater risk'... cigarette smokers pay more tax than non-smokers anyway, so we've covered ourselves in our purchase. Maybe we should tax fat people's clothing as they cost the NHS more too... or a wheelchair tax - as people with long term illnesses cost the NHS more too - would that be better?

You seem to be confusing cause and effect here.

The difference is that cigarette smoking is a cause, and the two examples you have quoted are an effect.

Whether you happen to think that there is just cause for taxing cigarettes or not you must be able to see the distinction?

Originally posted by Yodameister

You seem to be confusing cause and effect here.

The difference is that cigarette smoking is a cause, and the two examples you have quoted are an effect.

Whether you happen to think that there is just cause for taxing cigarettes or not you must be able to see the distinction?

Being overweight is an effect, but the government have discussed obese people paying for their NHS treatment (in the same way as smokers) because they are viewed as having the choice to be obese or not.

This is the problem. If you start charging smokers extra, then where do you draw the line? Will obese people be charged? What about crash victims - they chose to get into the car - or perhaps sporting injuries should not be on the NHS as the sport is non-essential to existence... It's a real grey area.

I believe that regardless of lifestyle choices, all british citizens should be treated fairly under the NHS, and will happily pay to help the alcoholic alongside the elderly and the injured.

Originally posted by Agent Dan

if you are another smoker then there's strong evidence building that smoking reduces your ability to read a thread.

It was the tax avoidance issue being discussed. We have no issue with people who pay tax on their cigarettes being treated.

It's the ones who buy illegal cigarettes, get heavy metal poisoning from them and then want to be treat on the NHS who we were suggesting go and die quietly.

No way will I die quietly.

Tax Hamburgers! Tax Chocolates! Tax nagging wives!

They all contribute to the health risks - - according to the granny state.

The Custom&Excise did rear its head today (Metro Article) - - claiming that criminals are making their own counterfeit cigarettes, "Contaminated" with higher levels of "Tar - Nicotine - carbon monoxide and lead". - - Don't they mean "Unrefined Tobacco?"

Still think this is a PR exercise against the loss of tax revenue!

You breathe in higher levels of lead and Co, just walking down high street. Will they tax the air that you breathe - because it contributes to illness?

if you stand close to me and bloke smoke in my direction i'll move or ask you to stop. Does it count as assault if you don't?

yes mate, course you would.....:loopy:

The question about 'where' the money goes makes no sense. No tax revenue from any source is earmarked for a given purpose. As yoda already said. It goes into a central pot.

I dont think I asked where the money goes - My question was that isnt it the same for the thousands of sports related injuries that are treated each year on the NHS. Perhaps these people should pay extra 'sports' tax to cover the cost of thier treatment.:suspect:

Whether I choose to buy 'black market' or taxed cigarettes is of nobobies concern but my own. Would you suggest those who drink homebrew or self imported alcohol shouldnt be treated for Liver failure?

Are you really that stupid that you think the government care more about our health then the collection of tax?

I'm sorry, but it's absolute bilge!! Foreign fags contain arsenic?? Do you think I was born yesterday? Don't get me wrong, I hate smoking, but this is blatent scaremongering.

Gloves off Eh?

From my travels and work as a "Doodlebugger" I have friends in many countries. Many in the E.U.

It is perfectly legal to have cigarettes and tobacco sent as a gift - - from one E.U. citizen to another. (Not too often though).

These "Goods" are purchased at a normal outlet (Shop), and the tax, or duty paid stamp is on the packet.

There are many instances of the NHS using French and Spanish medical facilities to help them out in some areas where cost and staffing levels are causing delays here in the UK.

In the unlikely event of my needing treatment for a "Smoking Related" illness, I could ask to be sent to one of these:clap:

After all, if the Government can help themselves by using E.U. services, why can't I?

I will say, that when I do pass on to the last smoke.

(Crematorium) - - - The Council will have to De-Nicotene-ise my flat, as it seems to be the only place I can enjoy my lifetime habit. The plain "Magnolia" walls get progressively browner towards the ceiling, which itself is a beautiful "Artex" swirly cream and tan.:heyhey:

Originally posted by Sidla

I'm sorry, but it's absolute bilge!! Foreign fags contain arsenic?? Do you think I was born yesterday? Don't get me wrong, I hate smoking, but this is blatent scaremongering.

It's true, I'm afraid. All cigarettes contain arsenic (not just cheap foreign ones) and a lot more besides. A simple search on the internet will bear this out.

Scientists have found more than 4000 different chemicals with more than 300 known poisons in cigarettes. This includes carbon monoxide, tar, ammonia, formaldehyde, arsenic, dioxins etc, etc.

I can't recall why the arsenic is added, but the reason is quite strange - it does something like stopping the cigarettes from constantly going out (possibly).

I think it is the commercial "Super Refined" cigarettes that contain the most additives - - or am I convincing myself, to feed my addiction?

A well known brand of "Hand Rolling Tobacco", and papers produced from "Hemp",- - filters to mainly help shape the fag, - - - Aaaargh - Bliss.

Nitrates are embedded in cigarette paper to prevent them from going out - - - more cigarettes are burnt out in ashtrays - hence more sales. As every hand roller knows, you can put your roll up down, and it goes out. Thank God lighter fuel is not taxed too much!

All this sneering that smokers use up valuable hospital space !

How many more times do the Non-smokers need reminding that the tax on cigarettes practically pays for the N.H.S. ---or certainly a lot more than smokers use. Also---why don't they sneer at people who go driving for pleasure and geti nvolved in accidents ? Do people who go to the shops in their cars "absolutely" need them ? Plenty of people manage without cars and always have done.

What about mountaineers who get in difficulties and have to be resued--often putting the rescuers 'lives in danger.....etc...Shall we leave them all to expire on a mountain-side as they were only climbing for their own pleasure ?

Also,not only do cars cause pollution every day but the manafacture of cars causes untold pollution.

The principle is exactly the same i.e.people doing something non--essential or for pleasure which sometimes causes problems.

At least smokers do pay for their pleasures.Compared to smokers,a lot of pleasure -seekers are mere parasites.