What the hell is wrong with Sheffield? I just moved here.

al82

I've recently moved back to Sheffield (born & raised here), after spending 5 years down in London. In all the years i've lived in Sheffield I've hardly seen any crime, certainly nothing like has been described. Howeverwhen living in London I got a taxi driver in running off with £20 of my money and once had my cash card cloned - taking thousands out of my account. Charming.

As much as London was fun, I'd plump for Sheffield any day, the majority of law abiding citizens are generally nicer. I think you've just had a very bad experience of Sheffield...the crimes you've seen could happen anywhere in the world nowadays, to be honest. Its not exclusive to Sheffield!

Nick

al82

You might want to look other places on the tram route. The tram is so much better than the buses and dead easy access to both Unis from it.

Lower end of Norfolk Park is ok, not far from the college on Granville Road there are two small cul-de-sacs with garages and completely off road parking. I know someone who rents a 2-bed flat there far cheaper than you pay. Everyone there is dead nosy (which has it's downsides) but everything gets watched and I haven't heard of any problems there yet.

I don't know Hillsborough that well but you might want to look out that way too.

You might also want to look at properties where there are a few old biddies around. These old people tend to be around all the time and often notice more if anything happens.

I've only been here two years but did have one wierd experience on the motorbike. I rode through one particular area. There were kids playing on the street. They got off the road as I came through but I got the distinct impression they were sizing up the odds of getting me off the bike and nicking it from under me! Given what I later found out about the rep of the area, that was highly likely.

Like most places in England it depends in which area you live.

You've been very unlucky but that *might* be something to do with a previous incumbent at the place you are living at?

One place I've lived in here had a bad credit history because a previous tenant ran off with a car he owed a grand or so on and he left a few other debts behind as well. But that could happen anywhere in the country.

Car stereos do go missing. Get one of those ones where the front comes off or expect to lose it frequently. Never park your car in roads off the south side of Matilda St, there is always broken window glass along there. Slashing the tire is very annoying and expensive petty vandalism which makes me think it was more a hate crime directed against a previous tenant than just opportunistic car theft.

If you can muck it live in 'their' area, thieves and vagabonds tend not to sh*t in their own backyard.

But I think it's pretty much luck of the draw. I've experienced or known others who have experienced

Curb cralwers

Stereo nicked from my motor

Wheels nicked from bf's motor

Student house totally trashed by gatecrashers

Bag snatchers

Bag snatchers using knives

Cars let off handbrake and left to roll backwards down a hill by people who wanted to add some fun to their great night out at a night club

Marauding Scots nicking young family's motor in a remote village leaving them with a young baby needing doctor, stranded without a car, costing them callout fees and the like.

Cars driven round 90 degree corners on pavements at speed with no possible way of knowing if there are any pedestrians on the pavement.

Cars set on fire

and none of these happened in Sheffield, two happened in Europe.

On the whole I have felt quite safe walking through the streets of Sheffield, even at night. And most people in Sheffield are ok, despite the Yorkshiremen ;)

It's just riding the bike through some areas is a tad worrying ;)

anyway hth

L.

My gf is already at Sheffield uni and i'm at Leeds uni but i'll be moving to Sheffield and we are going to get a house together.

Dunno what or where we are exactly looking for, but i'm guessing from what i have read so far it will be Walkely area or Crookes as we need to be close to the uni for her and also to Hillsborough Morrisons for her to get there, i don't mind as i have my car.

All i have heard or seen of Sheffield so far is crime, crime and more crime. The halls of residence where she stays theres always people climbing through the windows and stealing things, normally laptops. When i was parked just out of Sheffield to go for a walk i came back to find two of the others cars smashed up, broken into and items stolen, but thank god mine had not been touched.

My car insurance is set to rise about £150 by moving to Sheffield, thats quite a lot to me.

So anyone have any decent houses 2/3 bedrooms within easy reach of the uni and Hillsbrough Morrisons? My limit is about £550PCM tho

Andy,

the reason the halls of residences are so highly targetted, is that the theives know that there are shedloads of easily stolen, and easily disposed of valuables, like mobiles, and laptops there. it's what's known as a "soft-target". (and a lot of the students don't make it easier on themselves by not being security conscious)

The important thing is to *be* security conscious, and not leave windows open, that theives can sneak through, and follow all the crime-safety advice.

The cars that were broken into that you mention... it is very likely that the car owners had left the car with valuables on display, and the little sods thought "Aye-aye, we're in, here!"

Walkley/Crookes are both strongly student-populated areas, and as such you *will* find that the insurance companies will put your premium up, because of the increased risks.

Also these areas are high-demand, from students, being so convenient for the Sheff' Uni, etc, so a lot of landlords can virtually "name their price", for rents.

However, your experience is skewed; be assured that Sheffield is, statistically, one of the safest cities to live in, and it's very friendly and welcoming.

2/3 beds will set you back around 600 pcm, depending on the landlord, and the area.

good luck in your search...

PT

It is very true that Sheffield is one of the safest cities to live in.

There are always car burglaries and break ins in alll cities.

This is quite a caring Citypeople help each other here and it is not notorious for drugs or violent crimes.

I am sure that someone will have some other stats to quote!

The thing is, you do feel safehere.

I went round to a friends the other night when it was around 7.30..I live at Meersbrook at moment and am moving to Crookes.

Several men passed me in the street ..I did not feel unsafe or threatened ina ny way..police

It is about whether or not you feel safe.There are places all over the country where women would just no do that for fear of being mugged, raped etc..

You will get the feel of it when you move here.

Good Luck

Nice areas to move to , I guess for students would be Walkley, crookes, Broomhill