What the hell is wrong with Sheffield? I just moved here.

al82

Yes what you said is true, it only takes one to ruin someone’s opinion but I have calmed down now, even though the police came 2 days after it had happened they are very helpful here.

HERE IS SOMETHING FUNNY a friend of mine at work who moved up here a week before I did wasn't at work a few days ago so when he came in for his shift yesterday I asked him where he was and guess what..........someone stole his Ford Fiesta.

I know students don't have a lot to spend on rent and at the moment I pay £395 pcm for a one bedroom apartment.

Someone said when you grow up in a city your safer because you know where to avoid and where you can go, that's true, I guess if I walked around Acton and brixton in London I would have the same problems, but the police man who came here told me it is a safe area (near the bottom of London road, opposite city centre).

Thanks for all the replies I do feel allot better and it has helped me see that it was most likely bad luck.

Merry x-mas to you all.

Originally posted by al82

........ but the police man who came here told me it is a safe area (near the bottom of London road, opposite city centre).

Merry x-mas to you all.

The area that you are talking about always intimidates me!

I often feel like something is lurking around the corner, which is quite odd for me!

Don't forget that South Yorkshire is the 'car crime capital of britain', so your insurance will be sky high. We have the greatest number of untaxed/uninsured vehicles on the road, so be careful out there!

Hope things get better for you.

I came here as a student too. I like the fact that Sheffielders are approachable and friendly. It's almost impossible to go into a pub and not wind up in conversation (unlike Peterborough!)

the bottom of London road and anywhere off it is not safe and very very likely to get broken into. The nearer the bottom the worse it gets....

try Crookes, Broomhill, Walkley, Ranmoor, Crosspool

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Walkley can be described as a low crime area, it has a pretty high rate of burglary and if you're looking for a place where your car won't be broken into I wouldn't put Walkley at the top of my list.

It is a pretty reasonable area though, certainly wouldn't feel in danger walking about there like London Road, and the pubs are good, it's just the car and house crime that would put me off.

• 2 weeks later...