Pub news

One or two bits and bobs

The Howard has now re-opened following refurbishment under new management and as an extra brucie bonus now has real ale.

The Corner Pin on Carlisle Street East is expected to re-open on Thursday 16th December under new ownership, with a choice of 6 real ales, plus Budweiser Budvar and Bitburger Lager.

Bankers Draft re-opens on Friday 17th December as a Lloyds no 1 bar with tvs and music following a refit.

Originally posted by Andy C

Bankers Draft re-opens on Friday 17th December as a Lloyds no 1 bar with tvs and music following a refit.

Will they be serving food? or will that be stopped because of the upcoming smoking restrictions.

The Corner Pin on Carlisle Street East is expected to re-open on Thursday 16th December under new ownership, with a choice of 6 real ales, plus Budweiser Budvar and Bitburger Lager..

I went to this place once a couple of years ago and it was because they served really good food at reasonable prices. I think this was it's claim to fame as it is rather off the beten track to make much of itself just selling ale.

Originally posted by muddycoffee

Will they be serving food? or will that be stopped because of the upcoming smoking restrictions.

Not as far as I know, all Lloyds No1 bars do food (for example the one on Division Street) - see their website http://www.lloydsno1.co.uk/

I suspect what Wetherspoons will probably do once the new rules come in is stop serving food early, and make the pubs non-smoking until food stops.

Thanks for the info, Andy.

The Corner Pin used to be a great little boozer. I used to go there quite often around 1990-91 as it had a most incredible pint of Ward's (that is, the original Ward's). It then changed hands and Tony the landlord put Tetley on, which again was a superb drink (although I'd become partial to the Wahhhhddzzz by then).

I'm glad to see it is re-opening as I believe cities need pubs like this. Good, old fashioned traditional boozer. There was a pool table upstairs and Tony told me the place was haunted. He could hear footsteps upstairs when there was nobody there. (I suppose Ward's could go to the head, though!)

As far as lager goes, despite being more into the Real Thing, I do like Budvar and Bittburger Pils is fabulous. Trouble is, the latter always tastes that little bit nicer whilst drinking in a Greek Taverna!!

I always thought the Howard to be a tatty place and my thoughts on the Banker's Draft are posted elsewhere. But why do we need another Lloyds?

Well, we got to the point where there were three normal 'Spoons in the city centre: Bankers Draft, Wetherspoons Cambridge St and Swim Inn, but one Lloyds. Also the Bankers had a bit of a reputation for a certain type of clientele, there for I suppose it made sense to convert the Bankers to a Lloyds.

I'll probably go up to the Corner Pin on the opening night to see it and show support, even though it's a bit out of the way. I'm told it's a traditional two-room boozer a bit like the East House (another pub I have never visited!).

Howard is looking much smarter now, although I haven't been in yet. (I have only glanced through the door whilst walking past).

One or two bits and bobs

The Howard has now re-opened following refurbishment under new management and as an extra brucie bonus now has real ale.

always thought the howard is a bi t yukky and full of strangeys. used to be the place for freaks to meet b4 clubbin on sat and then sun noon night mmm!

The main clientele I used to see on a weekday evening in the Howard was students and railway staff!

students theres everywhere! i just remember it from old crasher days and it was nasty. the guy who owned it(big black guy) was nice though, he used to come in my pub (surrey)

my mate dj-ed few times in howard, always poor sound quality

Oh yes, the rather strange crasher kids on a Sunday lunchtime....

They did seem like a nice couple who ran it.

crasher kids - that nick name always made me laugh, how people jumped on the band wagon SAD really. Is cossack still going? and scream up the road?

Theyve pushed back the date on the Lloyds/Bankers to the 18th now. The sign on the door has changed.