Oliver Twist on Sundays

Anybody watching Oliver Twist on Sundays ?

I think they've made a very good job of this production.A lot of Dickens is fantastic but I think to our modern way of thinking , both the books and adaptations of the books are a bit "tame" for all the obvious reasons.

This latest production has almost done the impossible. It's injected a bit of sordidness into the story and ambivelance but managed to retain the whole atmosphere of Victorian England.Also it's stuck to the story line in chronological form----a delicate tight-rope to walk !

I'm not easily scared and can watch horror films and not feel much----but----I watched a close-up of Bill Sykes laughing with Fagin,in this production,and that WAS scary----mainly because you didn't know if Sykes was going to attack him at that moment or not.

The actor who plays Bill Sykes reminds me of Robert Newton who played him in the David Lean [?] production,just after the war. Great film ! My dad took me to see it at the Gaumont on Barker's Pool in about 1948-9.

We have Oliver Twist on and afterwards switch over to watch Fungus the Bogeyman - get my ironing done, shoes polished and lots more while watching them.

I miss having a good film to watch on a Sunday afternoon that I haven't watched a dozen times already - wish we could suggest some to the BEEB or ITV.

I saw two minutes of it... I'm sure it was well done, but i've just seen and read it too many times. How about putting some money into making something new and giving new writers a chance. Maybe people will start wanting to watch tv again.