GrAffiTi pioneers.

I’m sorry Ken, but how can you possibly compare people defacing headstones with Nazi symbolism with graffiti ART?

It’s sickening.

Its clear superchrome is saying there are two different camps of people using spray paint.

Those who tag people’s homes and gravestones, and those who use spray paint for art.

I don't believe for a second you actually think that's what people class as graffiti art, or what he's trying to defend.

I am gobsmacked that graffiti is thought of as art. But each to his/her own.

What i find unbelievable is the request to donate a long wall.

You don't see traditional artists asking for the council to donate canvases do you?

Why the hell should we be forced to look at this tripe.

I have an opinion about grafitti and the so called artists.

It may not be popular but i'm gonna say it anyway.

They are vandals pure and simple and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i think that their shoould be a big wall for graffiti artists, tagging will decrease as sometime tagging is done simply because people do not want to spend time doing a big piece as the longer people stay doing any illegal activity the more police are atracted to them . giving legal walls for many other cities have helped reduce the illegal graffiti i think the council could give it a try and see if it works does anyone agree ?

giving legal walls for many other cities have helped reduce the illegal graffiti i think the council could give it a try and see if it works does anyone agree ?

I'm sorry Greyhounddog but it would appear the above statement simply isn't true; here are a few quotes that I've cut & pasted off the internet:

Do legal walls really work?

Communities that have tried "legal" or "free walls," or areas that permit graffiti, find them ineffective... The problem is with the location of "walls". Over a dozen cities in California, Illinois, and other states have all found them to be "a failure".

While well intentioned, legal walls often cause more harm than good, and tend to attract graffiti vandals from outside the city. They may appear to work at first, but after a period of time, the surrounding areas also become covered with graffiti.

With a legal wall, governments or businesses essentially sponsor graffiti in an effort to rid a community of graffiti. This sends a mixed message. Data also shows no decrease in arrests for graffiti in cities where there are legal walls.

Another quote:

Free walls accomplish several things. The first thing they do is give graffiti VANDALS a safe place to network. The second thing they do is send the mixed message that graffiti is wrong, graffiti is a blight, graffiti is an eyesore. Oh wait, unless you do it over here, then it's okay.

The last thing is free walls don't work because they are "free." Confusing? The main motivation of the graffiti subculture is the illegal nature of it. They aren't content to use legal walls only. In every instance I have observed, the neighbourhood surrounding the legal wall become collateral damage. Free walls? There's nothing free about the problem they are going to cause you.

---------------------------------

Why not ask the vandals directly whether they would use a legal wall? This art student did and the answers just about sums their attitude up, I particularly like the answer from "Gangstarr" (WEBSITE HERE)

quote : "(Q12.) If you was provided with a legal space to graffiti would you still do it illegally (if you do)?

(A) nah i love ****in' up peoples property!

Sheffield city council looked into this matter in some depth, particularly at UK cities that had tried the 'legal wall' route and their conclusion was that it was NOT an effective way to reduce vandalism, in fact it acts as a magnet for vandals outside the area and actually increases the amount of vandalism / tagging in the locality of the wall.

the person who gave the statement saying "nah i love ****in' up peoples property!" would most likely be a tagger. taggers are the problem you want to eradicate. i think most graffiti artists (by artist's i mean people who do big elaborate designs) would agree that that statement and people who think like that are taggers. i guess its just matter of opinion

Archived