Sheffield Critical Mass - Cycling event!

Would you join in Sheffield Critical Mass?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join in Sheffield Critical Mass?

• I have a bike - Yes :)
    • I have a bike - Maybe :
    • |I have a bike - No :(
    • I don't have a bike but if I had one - Yes :)
    • I don't have a bike but if I had one - Maybe :
    • |I don't have a bike but if I had one - No :(

So do people think saturday would be a better day

Yes, I would agree Saturday would be better if you are going to do it.

Preferably on the top of Kinder Scout:hihi:

its supposed to be the last friday of each month, meeting at 5.30pm on the concourse outside the university of sheffield union of students

Well why not have a motoring critical mass say twice a day each week day between the hours of 7.00 am and 9.00 am then again later say between 4.00pm and 6.00 pm.

Oh what am i thinking it already happens.

I like the idea of a social event without trying to ram a "message" home, a bit like the roller blade thing they do in Paris.

Perhaps a Sunday afternoon would be a better idea? I would object to the un-necessary buggering up of the traffic flow.

:)

"un-necessary buggering up of the traffic flow"

i havent seen a great deal of traffic jams caused by bikes to be honest

but i agree, a non-work/rush hour day might be better

Cyclists have as much right to be on the roads as cars. However I do agree that such events are better for all parties if done when the roads are quiet (if have to be done on roads) and preferably away from the city centre. How about the TPT route?

As far as I can tell, most people who "cycle" do so by loading their bikes onto the backs of cars and parking somewhere in order to churn up a path in the country before returning to their car.

Really? People like the Forestry Commision and singletraction have done a lot to help sustain paths for riders (and walkers) and have generally improved off road paths, not churned them up.

Really? People like the Forestry Commision and singletraction have done a lot to help sustain paths for riders (and walkers) and have generally improved off road paths, not churned them up.

Sure they have - but they've needed to because the paths are being constantly eroded by walkers, cyclists and not least horse-riders. I think KenH has a point actually.

I also enjoy off-road cycling and do my bit to help churn up the countryside I suppose. Although I don't cycle on footpaths, only bridle-ways or RUPP's. I used to much prefer on road cycling but not anymore. I think the thing is that, even in the past 5 years, the amount of traffic on the roads has increased phenomenally and Sheffield isn't the best place when it comes to having designated cycle tracks. So, it is increasingly hazardous to cycle on the main roads.

We could do well to take a leaf out of the book of Milton Keynes. (This should provoke some vitriol eh?). Say what you like about this synthetic little town in Bucks but one thing is does have is a whole network of cycle tracks linking all parts of the area. Cycling can be safe and fun there.

There is an event held in many places known as "critical mass" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Mass)

How do people feel about starting it up in Sheffield.

The first event would be next friday (26/10/2007) meeting outside Sheffield Hallam University/Howard St at 14:00-15:00 and riding say 15:00 while 17:00.

Basically if you have got a bicycle, come along and ride for pleasure/leisure and meet other cyclists.

Time and venue subject to change

It appears it may be better to host it on a saturday.

It could start off by word of mouth, and the meeting time adjusted if the need be. As it grows, posters detailing Sheffield Critical Mass could be put up in places where bikes are locked up through the day.

What do you think?

Well Tom, you did say time and venue may be subject to change, and I think from the replies you got you must realise by now that the original plan to hold this event on a Friday afternoon in the rushhour was not the best. I'm wondering if you work for Sheffield City Council Planning Department with an idea like that?

In fairness, I think your suggestion to hold the bike ride is a great idea, providing you do it at a time and place which will not increase the ever widening gap between those two totally different species - motorists and cyclists. Good luck.

"un-necessary buggering up of the traffic flow"

i havent seen a great deal of traffic jams caused by bikes to be honest

but i agree, a non-work/rush hour day might be better

I can't help but think you'll find that several hundred bikes on the same bit of road at the same time will cause a disruption to the traffic flow. And I am a fan of cycling, and think the event will be great if held at an appropriate time.

:)

saturday would probably be better because

1) more people would have the opportunity to go as they wouldn't be at work/just finishing work

2) there would be less car traffic so it would be safer

3) if it is held in the middle of the day it would still be in daylight in winter which would make it more enjoyable and safer