BMW Vs PUSHBIKE

bulldog D

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

one would imagine that cycle paths and systems, and more helpful power assist legislation (for places like sheff where not everyone is going to be able to cycle up gleadless road), would be the order of the day.

You mean something like a ski lift ? We used to use the grab rail on the platform of trams and buses but it could be a bit hairy ;)

Out here I see a lot of cyclists riding their bikes for pleasure at weekends and during the long summer evenings, most of them are suitably equipped as recommended in the Highway Code, especially the youngsters. It seems the suicidal types are mostly those who cycle out of necessity.

I cycled the three miles to school and back in the 1950s, but I wouldn't fancy it these days. Not just because of the danger of collision in the increased traffic, but the enormous increase in exhaust fumes makes any fitness benefit pale in comparison to the lung damage likely to result from regular commuting by cycle.

Don't you need a license and a test to cycle in germany? Maybe they got one thing right.

I always see cyclist run red lights, going down the sides of cars, now stopped waiting for the lights to turn green. The same cars that passed the cyclist carefully to get to the lights and will have to pass the cyclist again, this time with somewhat diminished respect and patience to the cyclist maybe?

My Point:

Cyclists are road users too, so they should be passed carefully by cars as a car would pass another car or motorcycle.

Cyclists are road users too, so they should stop at red lights and not overtake on the inside. They should obey all of the rules of the road.

Cyclists are road users and should not use the public footpath and run down pedestrians.

We say in the computer industry, if all else fails RTFM. So cyclists RTFM on the road, just because you didn't have to take a test doesn't mean it doesn't apply.

http://www.highwaycode.org.uk

bikes and motorcycles are allowed to procede carefully through stationary traffic. So moving up the inside of a queue to the lights is just common sense. Tough luck if a car driver has to overtake again.

Wearing helmets and flourescent clothing are definitely optional things as well.

Since most people learn to ride as small children, aged probably around 5, how do you propose this licensing system should work. I can't see a 5 year old being able to answer questions on the highway code.

Originally posted by Greybeard

You mean something like a ski lift ? We used to use the grab rail on the platform of trams and buses but it could be a bit hairy ;)

There's a device called the Heinzmann Power Hub. It is essentially a sealed unit, gearbox and motor in the hub of your front wheel. NiCd battery pack on the parcel shelf. These units come in several different flavours (gearings & wattage) from the high speed version to the hill climbing version. Because they offer no rolling resistance and are not connected to the drive train in any way, the only negative impact they have is weight (NiCds aren't exactly light).

I think they are brilliant because the can offer power assist - i.e enable you to comfortably pedal all the way up rutland road, or they can do all the work or none. The more work you put in through the pedals, the longer life and hence range you get.

A Bike/Hub combo is about £600-£1000 and that's not an especially flashy bike.

The high speed version (not road legal) will propel you along at nearly 40mph on the flat

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

A Bike/Hub combo is about £600-£1000 and that's not an especially flashy bike.

I think if I were in the market for personal commuter transport I'd have a serious look at this

http://www.egovehicles.com/home/utility.cfm?doc_id=98

top speed of 23 mph and built-in charger. Battery life is claimed to be 10k miles.

Originally posted by robbie

in my experience cyclists do not know the basic highway code and are selfish (and I'm not a driver)

this illustrates it well. In a car at a junction going to turn left. A cyclists comes up from behind and goes past on the inside and stops next to the car. He then advises the driver that they better not *&*&& turn left across him in a very haughty arrogant manner.

cyclists also need to learn that they cannot cycle on the pavement....

I am a (pram pushing) pedestrian,cyclist and driver in sheffield so I can see this argument from all angles.

I have got to say that the most inconvenience is caused by selfish drivers who think that they own the road and any one who gets in the way deserves what they get.

Yes, we all make mistakes sometimes but a little consideration could mean that we all could use the roads safely.

Any way, if a cyclist mounts the pavement (as I occasionally do)and cycle slowly, safely and with consideration for others, where is the harm and what is the difference between that and the joint cycle/ footpaths dotted around Sheffield? maybe its the way to go for safe cycling in a place like Sheffield where cyclists seem to be viwed by motorists as bumper fodder!

Originally posted by Tony_BLiar

we cant all afford cars, pushbikes keep yer fit, so when you car drivers are joining weightwatchers or dying of a heart attack at 40, we will still be here looking and feeling fitter than ever!!

Of course you will, provided your lungs don't pack in due to the poisenous gasses you've inhaled behind those cars for the last 'X' years :lol:

Archived