Should all kids get Eid off school?

If you lived in the Middle East and were a devout Christian wouldn't you still celebrate Xmas, Easter etc?

Its just the same thing

Yes I would celebrate it. But I wouldn't expect time off work as I'd be in a country where more or less 99% of the people don't observe it.

Yes I would celebrate it. But I wouldn't expect time off work as I'd be in a country where more or less 99% of the people don't observe it.

but how many UK-ans actually celebrate Christmas in the true spirit of it?

How many UK-ans have it as nothing more than an excuse for a 24/7 booze-up, and as an excuse to sit and trough shedloads of food, and spend obscene amounts of money on presents?

How many UK-ans have it as nothing more than an excuse for a 24/7 booze-up, and as an excuse to sit and trough shedloads of food, and spend obscene amounts of money on presents?

That's what quite a few Muslims do at Eid, why shouldn't we do it too? Have four or five friends at work who are Muslim and on Monday morning they all said they eat way too much during Eid and did plenty of partying etc.

Also, if I celebrated Christmas in an Arab country I wouldn't be permitted to drink alcohol and get boozed up anyway.

But you could use your annual leave, just like a Muslim here who wants Eid off.

That is the true spirit of the original festival. Even after the church hijacked it because they couldn't stamp it out.

i took my kids to school on friday and was unaware that it was eid,my kids had only 5 others in their classrooms allday

i want to know why...had i chosen to...would i have been penalised for letting my kids also have the day off

not only do religions get school time off for eid but they also get the english xmas time off school too

do you think its fair?

i was going to bring my kids back home as i knew they would do no schoolwork due to there only being 5 kids in each class and was told it would be classed as an unauthororised absence?!!!

No its not fair because muslims should have to go to school when it is xmas. Blame the government...........

But you could use your annual leave, just like a Muslim here who wants Eid off.

A few people where I work had no annual leave left so were allowed to have it as special leave! (Paid leave)

That's a generous employer, nothing else.

This thread is going so well that I rekin it will still be going by by the time Eid or however you spell it comes around again the argument will re-ignite.

considering the two Eid festivals fall just a few weeks apart, yes, there's the second one coming up on you, rapidly, it'll be on 20th December

however you've a good-sized gap, as the next Eid, Eid ul Fitr, (the one which is at the end of Ramadan) is not till 30th sept 08, with Eid ul Adha falling on Dec 8th in 2008 (depending on the sighting of the moon)

Again we get the usual PC for brigade and the ones that object thinly veiled labled racists..why dont you all look at it from a childs point of view instead of trying to score points for and against.You have a number of children there who are made to attend school whilst their classmates are allowed the day off,now having 7 children of my own,ok there all grown now,I know that theres nothing more pleasureable for a kid to look forward to than a day off,suddenly the kids are told that the muslims can have a day off but because they are not muslims they cant,ok its the governments fault for not recognising the problems this could cause,but this is a perfect example of government ignorance that has led to the racism problems that affect us,the kids are going to think that muslims are favored over them,sowing the seeds.Instead like I say trying to score brownie points off each other why cant you debate the problems logicaly and take it up with the education authority.Personally if my kids were at school I wouldnt want them having to have a holiday for eid,its not their religion and it would be hypocritical for them to have one,the same as I objected years ago when my kids fetched happy eid cards home which they were made to make in class.The obvious and easiest solution would be to hold back a couple of days holiday from one of the big holidays and take them at the eid festival time,that way there would be no problems as everybody would be off