Warhammer Online

Hi,just wondered how many of you play warhammer online,how many of you reached lvl 40 and what class you chose.

I am thinking of trying it :)

Thanks

I've been playing since it launched and after initial frustration at the number of bugs and glitches in the game, I have since been really impressed with the support, patches, and fixes which have made the game work so much better (when it launched it was like playing a beta version there were so many bugs, but I fed tons back to the support team and was pleased to see them getting ironed out).

The game takes the best elements of other MMOs, such as WoW and Lotro, and melds them together into a game which is easy to get into, and not intimidating to progress in PvP in (one gripe about WoW is the number of gankers who bully lower levels in PvP - try that here in the RvR zones on the map and you are turned into a chicken!)

I've got one of each class, but mainly play as my Witch Hunter (Chev) on Order, and Black Orc (Buggalugz) on Destruction. Set up a guild for me and my Order buddies (and love the fact that Guilds level up and get more features as you play) on the Karag Dron server, and am going to set one up on Karak Ungor server for Destruction. Not got any Lvl 40s yet as I like to explore and take time - don't understand those who rush through the game and usually miss so many nice touches (or those who never read quest descriptions and just click 'next' all the time - miss out on all the backstory?? Not me!)

I've been a fan of the Warhammer fantasy world since my early teens when I first played WFRP, so immersing myself in a game filled with familiar settings from those games is great. WoW doesn't even get a look in from me anymore :)

I tried it for 3 weeks and went back to WoW.

If you are a pure PvP nut with an imba gaming system you might find this is for you. I love PvP and the system really is good but the resources WAR takes is immense. Three times more than WoW at one point and that was with a character at level 12. God knows how much it takes at level 40 during a city seige.

I couldn't get on with the look of it either. I've played WoW for 4 years now and WAR just doesn't look the part for me.

I'm not saying it's a bad game because it isn't. If i had a good gaming PC i might even be playing it still now (only until wrath of the litch king this thursday). I do feel though it is destined to go the same route as Age of Conan.

If you are a pure PvP nut with an imba gaming system you might find this is for you.

Thing is, I am not a PvP nut. In fact one of the reasons I got sick of WoW was the ganking that occurred in all PvP, and constant obsession with arena fights to get that next bit of epic kit (along with the high level raid obsession which turns any nice guild into a bunch of self-serving cretins with no time for anyone else).

The PvP (or RvR) in WAR, however, never feels as imposing to start on as in WoW, and sit s well within the game world. You can still choose to avoid it entirely, and just quest through the safe areas, but there is not that ganking factor when you decide to give it a shot. I am now enjoying the odd bout of battlegrounds scenarios in WAR, especially as it earns decent XP as well as reknown.

For a game still only just under 2 months into launch, WAR is a staggering feat. But, yeah, it is resource heavy (the install folder is 11.5Gb) and it uses as much memory and system power as you throw at it (but then again, I do run it on high settings most of the time). The look of the game doesn't bother me as I have always been a fan of the Warhammer Fantasy setting. I look forward to seeing how the world develops over time (and hope they introduce Middenheim into it).

Not even the "Ooh look...new scenery and lots more raids to obsess over" Liche King can entice me back to WoW. Now, Mines of Moria on Lord of the Rings....that's another matter (got lifetime subscription to that game anyway, so will always jump in and out of Middle Earth).

If you dont like being ganked then just roll on a PvE server :P

All the faults you pointed out about WoW will soon make their way in to WAR. It's just a case of people getting to know it better. The scenario leechers are already there. I'm guessing the gold sellers as well :(

If you dont like being ganked then just roll on a PvE server :P

All the faults you pointed out about WoW will soon make their way in to WAR. It's just a case of people getting to know it better. The scenario leechers are already there. I'm guessing the gold sellers as well :(

On the PvE servers you still have no chance getting started in PvP battlegrounds as unless you have twinked your low level toons you get severly hammered by puple kitted psychos who just mob any noobs they see in there, thus making the whole thing extremely off-putting for those wishing to delve into pvp. That is the main problem with WoW's system.

As WAR has extemely low level PvP (you can jump in at level 1 if you wish), it allows you to gradually get into it, and the on-gameworld RvR zones do not allow high levels to prey upon lowers (it results in the aforementioned 'chicken' transformation - amused the hell out of me first time I saw it happen), so can earn some reknown and build up slowly to stand a good stead in later zones.

Like I said, I was never much for PvP (was put off by spending so much time dead when trying to get started in the battlefields), but now I like to dabble in between quests. Although one flaw on the scenarios (aka battlegrounds) is one that affected WoW for a while - low population on servers meaning waiting ages to get into the scenario. Blizzard did wonders for it when they added the 'shared server' system for the battlegrounds (whereby all servers accessed one seperate sever for pvp). I'm hoping the WAR team end up doing similar.

I have no doubt that some of the 'idiot mentality' will begin to infiltrate WAR, but with any luck they will all disappear - a lack of spam and general chat is quite refreshing (and no "LFG...." spam either thanks to the open-party system). Lotro saw a bit of it arise after 4 months of release, but it soon settled down as they grew bored of it all and scampered off to their old games elsewhere. The sad thing about WoW is that, as the biggest MMO around, it obviously has a lot of attention and draw from the masses, and seems quite packed with idiots who delight in spoiling the game experience for others. If you search through old SF Warcraft threads you will see that at one point I was staunchly defending WoW and saying how I had not encountered it, and the guild I ran was filled with great players, etc etc. Well, once a few of them hit 70 it all changed as they wanted to raid more, and so formed an alliance with another guild, then invited randoms to the guild, and before I knew it I no longer felt at home in my own guild, and I experienced quite a lot of crap from the idiot mentality at that point. I ended up clearing out the guild and logging off for a final time. If Liche King offered more than just high end content, I'd consider popping back on (BC was a great all-round expansion, with lots of starter area stuff, quest threads through the levels, and then the high end stuff), but nothing it offers actually does much for me. Fingers crossed Blizzard will realise when they come to the next expansion in a couple of years that not everyone is a raider or arena obsessive, and will flesh out the low-zones again for the questers amongst us.

Had two gold seller spam mails in game so far. Will sadly get that in any game that relies on an in-game currency. Thank goodness for spam-filter mods :) (one of the only gripes I have with Lotro is the non-mod community stance Codemasters have with it - aside from the custom styling of the basic interface - I wish they would open source the code and allow the community to work on addons.)

On the PvE servers you still have no chance getting started in PvP battlegrounds as unless you have twinked your low level toons you get severly hammered by puple kitted psychos who just mob any noobs they see in there, thus making the whole thing extremely off-putting for those wishing to delve into pvp. That is the main problem with WoW's system.

I totally agree. People who 'twink' low level chars up are nothing but bullies in my opinion. There is no skill involved if you have 3 times more attavk power and health than a casual gamer.

I have said for years that experience should be given for every PvP kill. Even if it is only 1 XP per kill. It would still get rid of the twinks forever.

As WAR has extemely low level PvP (you can jump in at level 1 if you wish), it allows you to gradually get into it, and the on-gameworld RvR zones do not allow high levels to prey upon lowers (it results in the aforementioned 'chicken' transformation - amused the hell out of me first time I saw it happen), so can earn some reknown and build up slowly to stand a good stead in later zones.

I never found this to be true when in scenarios. Even if you get your stats bumped up to level 8 you still find that level 12 players will instantly target you and wipe the floor with you. It wasn't until i hit level 10 for myself that i started to hold my own. Once i hit level 13 it started all over again :rolleyes:. Thats just the nature of player versus player i suppose.

The sad thing about WoW is that, as the biggest MMO around, it obviously has a lot of attention and draw from the masses, and seems quite packed with idiots who delight in spoiling the game experience for others.

Tell me about it. I can't go in to a city with trade chat turned on any more. There are 100's of kids spamming 99% of the time. My ignore lists are constantly full.

the guild I ran was filled with great players, etc etc. Well, once a few of them hit 70 it all changed as they wanted to raid more, and so formed an alliance with another guild, then invited randoms to the guild, and before I knew it I no longer felt at home in my own guild, and I experienced quite a lot of crap from the idiot mentality at that point. I ended up clearing out the guild and logging off for a final time.

I have my own guild as well. 70+ member with 100+ toons. Not the biggest but we have a core group of around 15 of us online every day. We know each other well and it just 'works'. In the 3 years i have been the guild master we have had the whole mass exodus of level 60-70's leaving to raid but we survived the turmoil and drama and rebuilt. Eventually the people that leave have always come back :hihi:

i bought the CE warhammer.. i couldnt get into it after about 2 weeks play and i bought WoW again (sold my old account). I think ill return to warhammer some day but i dont want to be waiting while it becomes the game mythic promised, which i dont think it is currently.

currently trying to power lvl a druid for the expansion (im going to fail horribly lol) and im on Ragnaros PVP realm if anyone wants to say hello... name is Mbison.

currently trying to power lvl a druid for the expansion (im going to fail horribly lol) and im on Ragnaros PVP realm if anyone wants to say hello... name is Mbison.

I'm doing the same. Level 63 after 5 days played. No way am i going to make 70 before wotlk though :suspect:

I'm doing the same. Level 63 after 5 days played. No way am i going to make 70 before wotlk though :suspect:

ive got like 2 days played and lvl 35.. Left 4 demo is killing my time at the moment haha. So hard power lvling without having a high lvl character for money, friends who boost etc. Ill get there soon enough though! :)

I myself play both Wow and WAR and I agree with a lot that has been said so far.

I love the RvR on WAR, I used to try PvP on WoW but hated it due to staring at the respawn spot multiple times, whereas in WAR I have managed to be on the other side and got a fair few kills in.

I also enjoy the PQ's (Public Quests) in WAR, it's cool how you can just jump into an existing group when they are doing a PQ and help out, then you gain some form of reward.

The ONLY thing that is driving me nuts in WAR is the constant disconnects, if they sort that out, I shall be extremely happy and will love playing WAR.

I currently have 2 chars, a witch hunter and a bright wizard, both around lvl 15.

I also enjoy the PQ's (Public Quests) in WAR, it's cool how you can just jump into an existing group when they are doing a PQ and help out, then you gain some form of reward.

The ONLY thing that is driving me nuts in WAR is the constant disconnects, if they sort that out, I shall be extremely happy and will love playing WAR.

I currently have 2 chars, a witch hunter and a bright wizard, both around lvl 15.

Don't you just love it when you jump into a PQ at the last minute and manage to win some good loot on the roll :) On the flip side, doesn't it annoy you when some gimp jumps in at the last minutes and steals the best loot :)

I've not had issues with DCs for the past 3 weeks now, although one of my guildies still has a lot of drop-outs. Very frustrating, but when it happens his whole internet connection drops out too (noticed as he drops out of teamspeak at the same time).

Finally - isn't Witch Hunter cool :) My favourite toon by far.