Snow Mountain - Is this the boost Sheffield Needs?

beckyaa

An inside ski centre, real snow, alpine village and cable links to the tram route? Ready in 2008.

Is this the high profile devlopment that Sheffield needs to boost it's image?

(been trying to find a link to it on web but ca't find anything - it was on Look North today)

I was at the press launch and it seems pretty high profile to me, infact it will be pretty impressive if it comes off. If we are to believe what we are told, it will be the most impressive and innovative indoor ski slope in europe let alone the uk. I think its exactly what sheffield needs, its own alpine resort.

I agree Fonz, from what I saw it looked amazing. Hopefully it really will give Sheffield the icing on the "sports city" image it seems to be trying to promote, and really put Sheffield on the map.

Do you have any more information Fonz? Any links, or know who is behind it?

not that impresssive really- not gonna convince people to invest here cos you can ski and it will only attract a certain type of people!!!

Don't get me wrong- its good news- but i wish we could have something that appeals to a wider range of people!!

I know what you mean, but hopefully it will give Sheffield something unique, something to make Sheffield different to Leeds and Manchester. If it brings people and money to Sheffield, surely that can only be a good thing?

And there are plenty of other things, like climbing and ice skating to do if you can't ski

Is it going to be a snowdome style thing or is it going to be open air? Either way I can't wait, just hope they actually do it! How many times has the Ski Village promised something that's never happened?

And let's just hope they NEVER get round to put up a Bubblelift, what a ridiculous idea!

Try

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net

for more info.

The cable thing is a definate as it means it can link in with the tram and the issues which would arise from poor transport links can supposedly be overcome. Also the word on the street is that they already have some major retailers interested.

It wont just be sking, it will offer a wide range of activities indoor and outdoor, including a huge wire slide, great fun.

Also they claim that it will be real snow which will fall from indoor clouds at night, this will then melt and reform as clouds and snow again (i dont understand it either).

Originally posted by JCDeceux

No, its not high profile enough.

SKI CITY

A GIANT ski resort - with all-year snow and a mile-long Swiss-style cable car route - will be coming to Sheffield if an £80 million plan unveiled today gets the go-ahead.

The "Snow Mountain" alpine-style leisure development next to the Ski Village at Parkwood Springs would "put Sheffield on the map" and create hundreds of new jobs, its backers claim.

Among the eye-catching highlights would be a cable car system, complete with gondolas, linking Shalesmoor with the alpine village and up to Shirecliffe.

The hillside at Parkwood Springs would be transformed by a huge indoor ski resort designed to look like an ice sheet clinging to the sides of the Don Valley.

Future plans for the site include a four star hotel and shops.

Developers say their scheme - dubbed Snow Mountain - would be Europe's largest indoor snow hall and cable car system.

It would cover 30 acres, acting as the catalyst for the regeneration of the Upper Don Valley, and would also give Sheffield a unique tourist attraction and boost the city's reputation for sporting innovation.

Developers say funding for the scheme would come from private finance and grants, possibly from Yorkshire Forward, the Government-backed regional development agency.

Applications for grant aid will be made following today's submission for outline planning permission.

The main attraction of the development, spearheaded by Ski Village owner John Fleetham and property developers Craig Marks and Brian Craig, would be a ski slope twice as long as any other artificial snow piste in the UK.

It would be 300 metres long, with a 70-metre drop, and would have a constantly snow-covered indoor winter sports area. The feature, said to be unique in Europe, would have colour-coded runs, with chairlifts and button bars. Visitors would ski on snow, whatever the weather.

Developers say the cable car could carry up to 2,500 people per hour.

Craig Marks, one of the three partners behind the project said: "This scheme will establish the site as a major attraction of national significance."

Business partner John Fleetham added: "This is a dream becoming reality. The development is a natural step forward."

Thanks Fonz and Unregistered!! :thumbsup: Should really have put more info on when I started the topic, but was excited and posted it too quickly, lol!

I hope the plans stay as ambitious as they sound and don't get watered down. Just wish it was going to be finished a bit sooner!

Archived