New HD Not Recognised

daleam

I've popped a new HD in today, and it's recognised in the BIOS - auto detected, and its set as my slave.

However its not recognised in XP, not even in the Disk Management Console.

Anyone any ideas to why it doesn't show?

I've tried, I went into the Recovery Console, but it can't be accessed their either. I installed Linux on it succesfully, so I know its not faulty, but I don't want it for Linux, I want it for storage.

I've tried, I went into the Recovery Console, but it can't be accessed their either. I installed Linux on it succesfully, so I know its not faulty, but I don't want it for Linux, I want it for storage.

not recovery console

either use fdisk.......boot off a start up floppy to dos and type fdisk...erm i think

while there you can also see if dos recognises it.

or use a proper partion manager like partition magic

it needs a proper drive letter for windows to see it

not recovery console

either use fdisk.......boot off a start up floppy to dos and type fdisk...erm i think

while there you can also see if dos recognises it.

or use a proper partion manager like partition magic

it needs a proper drive letter for windows to see it

Windows XP doesn't have DOS, neither does it require it, besides fdisk can't even do NTFS. The same goes for partition manager why use something extra when Windows XP is quite capable of formatting and partitioning itself.

If you need to format then you will need to go into the Disk Management section, which can be found in the control panel (old style layout) under administrative tools, then computer management the rest should be self explanatary.

Hope that helps.

Windows XP doesn't have DOS, neither does it require it, besides fdisk can't even do NTFS. The same goes for partition manager why use something extra when Windows XP is quite capable of formatting and partitioning itself.

If you need to format then you will need to go into the Disk Management section, which can be found in the control panel (old style layout) under administrative tools, then computer management the rest should be self explanatary.

Hope that helps.

he said its not registered in the disk management section

dos is always there under the surface even on xp.......there IS still command prompt etc no matter what MS say.

need to use real dos tho, via a boot up floppy

and the bit about using extra software that windows could do?

cos everything does it better than windows can

i dont use xp to burn cds i use nero

i dont use windows to defrag anymore i use diskeeper (its faster and can do all partitions at once)

i dont use xp to partition i use partition magic

i dont use windows media to rip cds etc i use exact audio copy