Was my gran born emily boulding or emily howson

roughy101

My Great Grandparents Sarah Ann Boulding b:1879 and Thomas Howson b:1879 were married in 1899 but my grandmother was born 1895/97.Thomas was in the Boer War from 1898/1904,

In the 1901 census i have Sarah Howson as head of the family with Emily Boulding spelt Baulding as a visitor, i beleive this is my grandmother Emily,I cannot find birth records for Emily as Boulding or Howson so was she born illegitimateand did she take the name Howson after Sarah and Thomas married

I do know she was called Howson when she married my grandfather Harry Brookes:confused::confused:

My Great Grandparents Sarah Ann Boulding b:1879 and Thomas Howson b:1879 were married in 1899 but my grandmother was born 1895/97.Thomas was in the Boer War from 1898/1904,

In the 1901 census i have Sarah Howson as head of the family with Emily Boulding spelt Baulding as a visitor, i beleive this is my grandmother Emily,I cannot find birth records for Emily as Boulding or Howson so was she born illegitimateand did she take the name Howson after Sarah and Thomas married

I do know she was called Howson when she married my grandfather Harry Brookes:confused::confused:

I have found the following by searching for "boulding " births between 1890 and 1900 in free BMD

Looks like the right one?

Births Mar 1895 (>99%)

Boulding David Edward Romney M. 2a 1065 Scan available - click to view

Boulding Mary Emily Sheffield 9c 536 Scan available - click to view

Boulding Thomas William Tynemouth 10b 179 Scan available - click to view

Boulding Willie Sheffield 9c 516 Scan available - click to view

Often people used their middle name instead of the first

A thought has just popped into my head.

If this is your Emily and there is no father named on her birth cert. then Thomas Howson may not be her father and therefore not your g/grandfather and you are b*gg**ed.

Unless you can find further info and proof!

Sarah was only 16/17 when Emily was born and 4 years (1895 to 1899) is a long time for Thomas to make an honest woman of Sarah IF he was the father.

However if the father is named and it's not Thomas Howson you have different line to follow.

A similar thing happened to one of my wife's ancestors who gave birth in 1878 to a boy who in the 1881 census was entered as the son of his Grandparents.

No father was entered on the birth cert and some years later the woman married. Whether the husband was the father is unknown and unlikely!

Another thought is that he was the father. My great great grandparents were married when their two daughters were aged 10 & 8 years old and, to this day, I've no idea why.

My greatgrandmother (one of these daughters) was an extremely strict person who wouldn't hear of her own sons doing any philandering, imagine my surprise at finding her parents unmarried for all those years. I thought the reason she had a double-barrelled name was because they were "a bit well off", apparently the daughters were registered with their father's surname but used their mother's surname then combined the two.

It was the dreaded mother-in-law who'd registered their births though!

Duffems.

thomas was in the boer war he entered the in army in august 1898 and was there until 1904,he and sarah were married in december 1899.(presume he was on leave ) as he did 2yrs 108 days embodied service in africa.

the 1901 census says emily is 6 making her born 1895 ish but her death cert says she was 61 in 1958 making her born 1897 if this were the case sarah probably found out she was pregnant when thomas had left so i wonder if sarahs parents joseph and sara helen took charge untiil thaomas came home in 1904 as emily was howson onher marriage to harry brookes ,so there should be a birth cert in either boulding or howson:confused:

davy boy she couldnt be mary helen, thomases father was joseph.alsothey had a daughter mary agnes in 1908.

Hi.

I certainly wouldn't discount the birth for Mary Emily BOULDING....the Mary part of it may have been dropped after her registration.

I would have to send for the certificate that davyboy found for you, if only to discount her from the equation.

On the other hand it may well turn out to be her...we can't assume anything in family history. You can get the bare information from relatives but sometimes the truth has been embroidered a little and that is were you have to dig out the facts.

I have an ancestor who named 2 of his children James...the possible reason is that with infant mortality high, he didn't expect them both to live and the name had to be carried on. They both reached adulthood.

Tuppie

Hi.

I certainly wouldn't discount the birth for Mary Emily BOULDING....the Mary part of it may have been dropped after her registration.

I would have to send for the certificate that davyboy found for you, if only to discount her from the equation.

On the other hand it may well turn out to be her...we can't assume anything in family history. You can get the bare information from relatives but sometimes the truth has been embroidered a little and that is were you have to dig out the facts.

I have an ancestor who named 2 of his children James...the possible reason is that with infant mortality high, he didn't expect them both to live and the name had to be carried on. They both reached adulthood.

Tuppie

i have been trying to find her on the 1901 ce:confused:nsus