Traffic camera positioning. M1 junc.36 (Barnsley South)

Anyone else think the spanking new yellow cameras just south of junc. 36 (both sides of the road) which are positioned a few yards in front of information boards and at the same height maybe aren't such a good idea? They make the messages difficult to read at best.

I'd love to hear from whoever had such a bright idea.

They're only there whilst the roadworks are - its pretty standard.

Really? They look so... what's that word... er, permanent. :hihi:

No, seriously; they're set in concrete and everything.

That's so they won't fall over. What do you think holds them in position?!

No, seriously; they're set in concrete and everything.

That's serious?

Perhaps they could be fixed into place on tripods so the next passing lorry will blow them over with it's wake.

drrrrrrr

I think I got a ticket coming through :( I didnt see the 50 signs till it was too late :(

Putting them directly in front of information boards doesn't seem like a good idea.

That's so they won't fall over. What do you think holds them in position?!

The same thing that holds temporary lights in position on non-motorway roads;- GRAVITY!

That's serious?

Perhaps they could be fixed into place on tripods so the next passing lorry will blow them over with it's wake.

drrrrrrr

Perhaps they could be clamped to the existing set-in-concrete tower holding up the information boards, but above or below so as not to obscure the information.

drrrrrrrrrrrrrr

At this time of year, the information boards could be warning of black ice, snow ahead, queues (e.g. Christmas shoppers heading for Meadowhall (southbound)), mandatory speed limits, etc. as well as the normal 'cow on carriageway' messages :suspect::hihi:

Responsible drivers who read the messages will be forced to take their eyes off the road for longer periods to try and decipher the messages between the cameras.

I think I got a ticket coming through :( I didnt see the 50 signs till it was too late :(

What, the 50 signs that were not set in concrete but were not blown away by the wake of passing lorries? Fancy that!

Putting them directly in front of information boards doesn't seem like a good idea.

Thank you. I was beginning to think it was just me.

Thank you. I was beginning to think it was just me.

I wonder if people have replied to your post title, and not the entire post; whether or not there should be cameras at junction 36 for the roadworks, is a quite different question from whether or not they should be slap-bang in front of information boards.