To The Sheffield Green Party - S8

I have to also say well done to the GREENS, I hope they learn from their experiences and develop soundly.

Start shouting a little in the council chamber, become an 'opposition' rather than labours milk spittle.

Well if there is one thing we have learnt It is to be very careful what you post on the forum or it may end up on thousands of leaflets in Nether edge.

"In a recent Public debate.Green party members said ........" actualy it was only one member. That's not very honest is it.

I think that lib dem Ali Qadar is a decent and honourable bloke who would have been very uncomfortable with this kind of negative campaigning.He was going to win any way so this realy wasnt necesary.

As for shouting in the council chamber. I hope not. Shouting only makes you hoarse. Far better to have contructive debates that actually acheive something.

Well done Rob Murphy .Your years of relentless door knocking have paid off.

Well perhaps the Greens should have clearly committed themselves to oppose ant further sell-offs of Sheffield parks and greenspaces and the policy of selling no more than 10% of Sheffields parks. The Lib dems caught the Greens bathing and stole their clothes.

You have told me nothing..

CO2 usage will not affect "climate changes" do you agree?

The short answer is "No".

The evidence base I use is the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change "Summary for Policy Makers, Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis" (New York: Cambridge University Press 2007). Page two of this report is quoted in the "25th Annual Report of the 2008 State World World" from The Worldwatch Insitute" and the chapter "Building a Low-Carbon Economy".

It says.

"Over the past half-million years, the world's climate has seen four ice ages and four warm periods separating them, with extensive glaciers engulfing large swathes of North America, Europe, and Asia and then retreating, thousands of species dispaced, and he shape of the coastlines rearranged as sea levels rose and fell. Yet throughout these hundredsof thousands of years, the atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide (CO2), which plays a key role in regulating the climated, has never risen above 300 parts per million.

In 2007, the atmospheric concentrations of CO2 passed 382 parts per million - and it is already at the equivalent of 430 parts per milliln if the efficts of other greenhouse gases is included. Humanity is at risk of creating a climate unlike any seen before - unfolding at an unnatural, accerated pace - more dramatic than any changes in the climate since Earth was last struck by a large asteroid nearly a million years ago. Unless greenhouse gas emissions begin to decline within the next decade, we risk triggering a runaway disruption of the world's climate, one that could last centuries and that our descendants would be powerless to stop,"

"The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Fourth Assessment Report Summary for Policymakers" was published in the November 2007. It summarised three scientific reports produced in 2007 and informed negotiators at the Bali United Nations Climate Change Conference. These reports themselves are based on sound peer-reviewed published scientific evidence. The Summary for Policy for Policymakers" looked at five areas and these are:

"1. Evidence of warming of the climate system is unequivocal with eleven of the last twelve years ranking among the warmest in the instrumental record of global surface temperatures since 1850.

2. Global Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions due to human activities have increased by 70% between 1970 and 2004 with atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases now far exceeding pre-industrical levels. (The best estimate for total CO2 equivalent concentrations in 2005 for all long-lived GHG's is about 445 ppm).

3. Continued GHG emissions at or above current rates could cause further waming and induce many changes in the global climate system during the 21st century and that human induced warming could lead to some impacts that are abrupt or irreversible.

4. A wide array of adaptions options are available, but more extensive adaptions than is currently occuring is required to reduce vulnerablity to climate change.

5. Delayed emission reductions from mitigation efforts significantly constrian opportunities to achieve lower stablisation levels and increas the risk of more severe climate impacts.....the impact of climate change are very likely to impose net annual costs which will increase over time as global temperatures increase."

As a local Councillor (and a policy maker) I am committed to 'ensuring policy is developed and implemeted on the basis of strong scientific evidence, while taking account of scientific uncertainty (through the precautionary principle) as well as public attitudes and values'. This commitment is one of the five principles underpining Sustainable Develpment as set out in 2005 HM Government "Securing the Future" report and is the bedrock of the emerging policies in the Sheffield Development Framework (SDF) which is being drawn up to replace planning guidance in the Unitary Development Plan.

I think we should be implementing interim planning guidance based on the IPCC report and not wait until the SDF is fully in place.

I hope this answers your question about CO2 and its effects on Climate Change.

Note. I am one of the three Green Party Sheffield CIty Councillors.

Well perhaps the Greens should have clearly committed themselves to oppose ant further sell-offs of Sheffield parks and greenspaces and the policy of selling no more than 10% of Sheffields parks. The Lib dems caught the Greens bathing and stole their clothes.

Well lets hope that they wear them now they are in charge.

I also hope that they keep their promise to the people of Hillsbro to save Wisewood school.

I see evidence for climate change every winter. I am old enough to remember snow falling and staying on the ground for a week, having to climb over the piles shoved up by snowploughs to get across the main roads, slush collecting in every gutter, refreezing everynight. Now we get no snow and it rains all the time. When did anyone last see a snowplough on the streets of Sheffield?

Where I worked was flooded out in 2002, there were the floods last summer and then we came close again this last Jan/Feb (just ask anyone who crosses the River Don not in a car every day). I know some smart**** will come up with a glib answer, but "once in a 100 years events" don't make me laugh, it's happening now.

Richard

:)Well done COUNCILLOR ROB MURPHY:).

Like a previous poster said, your years of door knocking have paid off. It is a huge achievement to have 3 GREEN PARTY Councillors in Sheffield. It's fantastic for Central Ward.

And as Douglas J said:

All the major parties accept that climate change is happening but the Green PArty isn't just about climate issues. It's about local politics across the board

And I would add that we are about local and national politics across the board and as more than a one issue party - I believe we are a fully rounded party who has the reduction of carbon footprint(s) as a priority in how society is run and organised.

Note: I am a member of the Green Party and the views expressed in this post are mine as an individual and do not necessarily reflect those of the Green Party. :)

When you Greens have finished celebrating, could you please:

(1) shut down the incinerator on Bernard Road?

(2) close down the toxic landfill site at Parkwood?

(3) implement a proper recyling policy to include regular doorstep collections of glass, tins and plastics?

(4) get the most polluting, black-smog producing buses cleaned up or off the roads?

(5) shoot any Onyx spokeswomen because they're a bunch of lying bitches?

I can help with number 5.

Ta muchly :)