Kalms - have you tried them?

What did you think to Kalms?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think to Kalms?

• I tried them - they worked great
    • I tried them - they did nothing
    • I've never tried them

I'm thinking of trying Kalms as I'm still extremely relunctant to go for antidepressants from the doctor.

Has anybody tried these? Are they actually good for depression? I've got into a rut and can't get myself out, I really need something just to get me through college otherwise I'll end up dropping out.

Also, as I have complications with bleeding/DVTs would I need to run it by a pharmacist/doctor? Or would they not cause problems?

Hi Lotti, sorry to hear you're feeling low :( .

Kalms are intended for use with stress and anxiety, and therefore, I presume, have a depressant effect on the system and shouldn't be used for depression.

A natural remedy that really is supposed to work is St Johns Wort, but this mustn't be taken if you are on the pill or other antidepressants. With your other medical problems I'd strongly suggest you see your GP before taking anything, natural or otherwise. If you stress that you don't want to take antidepressants (which I don't blame you!) they can't put you on them, but they should be able to help you with alternatives. Good luck :thumbsup:

I think Kalms are promoted more as anti-stress tablets, as opposed to an anti-depressant agent. They contain gentian, valerian and hops powder. I have heard that hops are supposed to promote relaxation and sleep, but I don't know about the two herbs.

If you want a mild natural anti-depressant effect, you'd be better off considering St John's Wort. In this case, you would need to discuss with the pharmacist any other medication you might be taking re the bleeding/DVTs issue.

[EDIT: Posted before seeing Twiglet's response. I second the recommendation of talking to your GP.]

Thanks guys,

That's what I thought, but someone suggested them! I don't want anything that will send me to sleep!!!! I spend far too much of my time asleep as it is! I can be sat in college and just doze off - thankfully the teachers are used to me now and they just ignore me :blush:

Hi Lotti,

St John's Wort is supposed to be the best natural remedy for depression - just beware that it decreases the effectiveness of the contraceptive pill.

Definitely think twice before asking for anything stronger on perscription - I know there are mixed vews on anti-depressants and I don't want to start a heated debate, but I'm of the opinion that sometimes they can do more harm than good. The ideal option would be counselling in many cases, but with a nine-month wait on the NHS drugs can be the doctor's only other alternative.

The other thing is that if you are only feeling mildly down, once you've come out of the other side you'll feel much better and stronger as a person for doing it on your own, without anti-depressants. And therefore more able to cope next time you're feeling low insead of turning back to the drugs.

It's worth bearing in mind that a lot of lifestyle things like diet can increase feelings of depression, so also make sure you're eating healthily and getting plenty of fruit and veg. Do a google search for foods to beat depression and you should find loads of stuff. Get out in the fresh air when you can (I know this is sometimes hard for you), and do things that expand and engage your mind. Read about subjects that interest you, for example.

Hope you're feeling better soon xxx

Hope your ok Lotti.

My exes little brother had a bit of a bad temper and got really hyperactive, he had them and they really worked.

i do think you should run it by your doctor first though, even though its herbal. Like JBee said St. Johns Wort affects contraception and I started to take them, read the instructions and everything, only to find out on here that it can affect contraceptive pills/ implants. That could have been a messy situation hmm...

Anyway chin up chick and hope you feel better soon!

xxxx