Does anyone remember Kenyons toy shop on Bellhouse Road

One of our favorite places to stand and stare as kids, was in Kenyons toy shop window, full of all the latest Dinky toys etc, anyone else remember this magical place?

What's there now?

I don't know Tiffy, I live in Scarborough now, but it was the one above the cheapo shop on the corner of the Cresent.

Hey I remeber Kenyons..I was a paperlad working there in 1953..

it was next to the cobblers shop..I used to fancy the cobbler daughter..I think they called her "Ann"....have I got the right place ????....Does anyone remember Freddy Bennet's Granny, calling out for him every evening at sunset..Freddy lived in the little cottage next to the Horseshoe..it later became part of the Pub...some times we could hear her calling from as far away as the golf course down by Woolywoods...Fredeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I can well remember Kenyon's on Bellhouse Road, I have spent many hours there with my nose pressed against the window wishing that my pocket money would go up ten-fold.

I also remember Allen's bike shop around the corner opposite Firth Park (is it Firth Park Road?).

I spent even more hours there!

I'm getting confused now..I thought Kenyons was up near shiregreen post office on Bellhouse Rd in a group of about 8 or10 shops...But I now realize it was at the bottom of Bellhose on the left near Firth Park bottom and there used to be a pet shop there as well, that sold tortoises...and I remember a small bakery on the corner of Bellhouse Rd and Windmill lane where we school kids could buy a penny loaf.

Yes, remember the bakery, 1p Hovis was all all the rage with school kids, the best bakery was Styans at the bottom of Bellhouse where the Nottingham Building Soc is now. And of course, super pork pies at Friedrich,s, don't think I have spelt that right!

I remember reading in the Star just a few years ago that someone had bought the place, and in the attic they found a lot of toys still in their original boxes. They were auctioned off and made quite a lot of money I believe.

I always thought kenyons was the same shop where rons greeting cards now is.

could be wrong though.

I remember the shop- full of quality toys, such as Britain's soldiers, and farm/zoo animals, Dinky cars and Hornby Trains. It was like a miniature version of Redgates. How very different to the ugly, vulgar stuff available for kids today.

I loved that shop, full of goodies I could'nt afford, the only time I did'nt like it though, was when Mr Lamb, our headmaster sent me there to buy a new cane, which he wacked me with on returning to school, happy days eh!!

Yes I remember Kenyons,in the 1960s they once had a promotion when yo yos were all the craze, a chap came up to the playground at Shirgreen school on Bracken road,he did a Brilliant Demonstration, doing about 20 different tricks with a yo yo.

He then told us you can get the Best yo yos at Kenyons.

Also regarding Timbucks reference to Freddy Bennett who lived in the cottage on Bellhouse road,next to the Horseshoe,he was my Uncle.

Timbuck I have sent you a pm with info.

Cheers Steve