Planting for security

What can I plant to discourage 'people' from climbing into our garden?

I'm thinking something with thorns, no conifers thanks :suspect:, and some pretty flowers or berries at some point would be a bonus :)

the obvious pyracanthus -cotoneaster type, or berberris is quite effective and it has attractive foliage.

we have a nice variegated holly bush,but i've found it bit of slow grower.

Blackberries! Seem to grow anywhere with the minimum of maintenance and quickly. The thorns are pretty lethal and you'll get some fruit. Gooseberries or raspberries are alternatives.

Berberis darwinii is hardy, almost impossible to kill and comes with big vicious thorns (but isn't very toxic if Brude goes digging round the roots). I've heard crime prevention police officers refer to it as 'burglaris disembowelis'.

I'd love to plant fruit of some description, but that would probably only encourage eeejits into the garden to help themselves :suspect: so it looks like the berberis is worth looking into :)

I might plant a real cherry tree though - as most people can never be sure if they are real or poisonous :D

Edit: Is this the stuff Meds? http://www.korewildfruitnursery.co.uk/Berberis%20darwinii.JPG

There are some very good shrub roses that can be used for hedging. not as good looking as hybrid teas, but very effective.

Is any of this stuff evergreen, does anybody know?

Berberis and pyracantha are both evergreen I believe.

I'd definately go for pyracantha - wonderful white flowers in spring - almost as if it's been snowed on and after orange / red / yellow berries (depending on which you get). Certainly thorny and tough and will grow into any shape you want to train it to.

Hawthorne planted and kept as a hedge, without doubt. Don't know how long it takes to get to a size to be suitable as a deterant but it's nasty stuff - a single prick with a hawthorne needle can feel as bad as a bee sting, and the pain can last longer.

Still indigenous though and looks nice in the garden:)

goes to say, take care when trimming it :D

Hawthorn is quite vigorous isn't it?

and berberris can have some really attractive red leaves?

ohhh, decisions, decisions :(