Charity Related

NSPCC, RSPCA (guilt cos I send so many enquiries to them from work), and of course Sheffield Wildlife Trust (through Gift Aid)

Everyone should give gift aid - it's not like you'd ever see that money anyway.

Originally posted by cosywolf

Everyone should give gift aid - it's not like you'd ever see that money anyway. [/b]

What exactly is 'gift aid'?

How do you go about setting it up?

Got a handy URL that explains it all?

TIA

Nimme

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Anymore for anymore?

Mostly health care related in particular where essential NHS provision is absent e.g. St Luke's hospice (no votes in people that are going to die in a few weeks or months, they aren't patients they are just selfish "bed blockers" why waste NHS resources caring for them). (Just in case there are any literalists reading, that sentence is intended as irony).

Nothing with any political agenda,they end up compromised to one political party. I knew someone who ran a disability charity, she refused to be openly identified as supporting the Labour party (sorry can't go into personal details of the circumstances) and guess what, the central government funding promptly dried up.

Nothing anti-libertarian.

Nothing to the ones that spend a fortune on TV ads, bloody annoying phone calls and postal campaigns (I've got more free pens from them than I know what to do with).

I want the cash to help the target group, not maintain plush office suites in London full of remarkably well paid bureaucrats (check out many of the "household name" charities).

Originally posted by nommedenet

What exactly is 'gift aid'?

How do you go about setting it up?

Got a handy URL that explains it all?

When you hand over some dosh you give the charity your name and address and sign to say you pay income tax. The charity can then reclaim the tax (adds about 27% to your gift). If you keep records and pay any 40% tax you can also put it on your tax-return and you'll get 18% back. The tax man's guide here:

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/ir65.pdf

It's a pain for donations of a few quid so there's a scheme where you put money into a kind of bank account and issue special cheques to charities http://www.cafonline.org/ Not sure if that works with gift aid but it does with Payroll giving - you can give direct from your pre-tax income and the government adds 10% (some employers also add a bit I think).

Payroll giving takes a regular amount off your pay and gives it to your chosen charity, however if it is sent to CAF instead of a specific charity then you aren't limited to the one chosen charity, you just write the cheques to whichever one you favour this month.

Archived