Interview with the NHS...

After many, many applications my partner has finally managed to secure an interview with the NHS.

She has just under 2 weeks to do her prep' for this and is in a right state, ok to me and you 2 weeks is a long time but to her it is just around the corner, so I am on here to see if anyone has any tips for her, what sort of things do they ask, what sort of thing are they looking for in her etc? It isn't a professional position, it is for a housekeeper but it is the position she really, really wanted in the department she is literally desperate to work in and I know if it slips through her fingers she will be absolutely distraught.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks all...

Hi

Having worked for the NHS for a little while, the thing they seem to want is Enthusiasm. If she comes across as Enthusiastic but not too keen and has the right skills im sure she will be fine.

After many, many applications my partner has finally managed to secure an interview with the NHS.

She has just under 2 weeks to do her prep' for this and is in a right state, ok to me and you 2 weeks is a long time but to her it is just around the corner, so I am on here to see if anyone has any tips for her, what sort of things do they ask, what sort of thing are they looking for in her etc? It isn't a professional position, it is for a housekeeper but it is the position she really, really wanted in the department she is literally desperate to work in and I know if it slips through her fingers she will be absolutely distraught.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks all...

Hi - I have worked for the NHS for 25 years. Times have changed and they are very keen on personal and professional development. Every year, they have PDRs (personal devlopment review) which allows a person to go up the ladder in terms of pay rises if they are seen to be progressing professionally and personally. I would recommend asking questions such as "do you hold any courses which i would be encouraged to go on?" or "are there any courses I can go on which will help me in my career?" If they ask "what would interest you?" suggest Health and Safety which would help in your job. Also, because of MRSA, hospitals are dead keen on helping to eradicate this bacteria by encouraging hygiene techniques. I attach a link which might be worth reading up on.

http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/news/index.asp?y=2006&m=2&d=20&id=121959

Also say you are able to own initiative but also as part of a team, able to work under pressure, ability to organise own workload and to prioritise duties.

Anyway - best of luck and let me know how you get on :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi i went for an interview for the NHS and i got the job position for a seceratary but they said that start date wouldnt be until another 4 weeks, while i was waiting i applied for the housekeepers position, they have sent me a letter saying i have an interview for the 28th Sept, im not going to the interview as i already have another job, you just need to answer the questions really calm, they will probably ask her the question "if someone comes and asks you confidential information about a person in the hospital what would you do" i just said that i would direct them to reception and tell them in a calm manner that i cannot give out information about patients. Tell her good luck im sure it will go very well

Thanks everyone so far, that all makes a lot of sense, I keep telling her that as far as getting into the NHS is concerned, you've got next to no chance, but now shes got as far as interview stage which I know many, many people can only dream about then she mus have something that they want so to chill a bit, she's a bag of nerves though so I'll get her working on what has been posted up to now :thumbsup:

Thanks again

As well as the excellent specific advice in the above posts, I suggest your wife really studies all the information that has been sent about the job. The job description and person spec (if there is one) usually give loads of info about what will be expected. She must have pressed the right buttons to be shortlisted, so more of the same at interview, yes?

Hello there,

I currently work in the NHS & in my opinion, the expectation that most employers/interviewing panel members have is an understanding that the NHS is a big team. Each member of staff is going to be dealing with people at various levels. For e.g. a housekeeper is constanly communicating verbally, non verbally, over the telephone, via written documentation etc to people at various levels. This is a deadshot sure question at most interviews. Also as mentioned before attention to confidentiality, enthusiasm for the job, confidence in ability of self & willingness to learn in a new job environment will be looked for. Make sure that you contact the person mentioned as a contact on the initial advert and probably arrange for a visit of the department before interview. This will give your partner a better understanding of the job requirements as well.

Anyway hope all this helps & best of luck. Remember that once shortlisted you stand a very good chance of getting through again as you have got the Person Specification right. Read the Job Description & the Person Specification before interviews please.

Regards

Hi, I'd definitely recommend requesting a visit prior to interview. If they say yes then she'll get a good chance to look at what's involved as preparation for the interview and chances are she may meet some or all of the people on the interview panel. If they say no it shows initiative for asking the question anyway!

How did the interview go?

Hope she did okay

Update please about interviews. Was it worthwhile listening to me talk about best ways to prepare for an interview in NHS

Hi all, thanks for all your help she got the job and is now waiting for a start date.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi

I am going for a Housekeeper interview with nhs next week. Can you please find out from your wife what type of questions they ask is she can still remember? I am nervous and in need of help!

You can email me on: [email protected]

Thanks in advance

Mary