Traffic Cameras - New legislation means they can now 'blend in'!

:rant:Read yesterday that the "rules have been changed".

What rules?

The rules that required speed cameras to be painted in a "visible" colour.

Now, it seems, cameras can be painted to "blend in" with the environment - or is that another way for saying "hidden".

All along, the police/authorities have said that these cameras are a deterrent - to alert people, and to encourage them to slow down.

Well perhaps now they will admit that it is simply to get revenue. Another easy way to extract money from the motorist.

I know all about the reduction in accidents argument - but this is not strongly supported by evidence is it?

What do you think?:rant:

Honestly?

I think that if you're speeding then theres no issue as to whether you can see them or not.

dont speed = you wont get a ticket !

get caught speeding = stop whinging it WAS YOUR FAULT !

We all know it's a revenue stream, I encountered a mobile camera on a bridge over the motorway coming down the M6 on Bank holiday monday in the early afternoon. Light traffic on a hill with excellent visability and as far as I can tell what must be a pretty safe bit of road. NOTHING to do with safety what so ever, robbing basketballs.

I don't think the OP was whining about getting caught., just the fact that invisiable camera's wil not slow people down. Not unless they see them at the last minute and hit the brakes, much more likely to cause an accident that way!

perhaps now they will admit that it is simply to get revenue. Another easy way to extract money from the motorist.

I'm totally with you on this one. I never really did think it was about road safety - just another cash cow to milk.

This just proves it really.

If it was about safety - then all cameras would be permanently highly visible in order to act as a deterrent. Expecting people to slow down just because they think there might be a camera somewhere is a unrealistic concept - and won't work. The authorities are relying on this in order to make more money.

I don't think the OP was whining about getting caught., just the fact that invisiable camera's wil not slow people down. Not unless they see them at the last minute and hit the brakes, much more likely to cause an accident that way!

Yep and there called safety cameras not "you haven't seen me till the last second now brake really harshly and cause an accident" camera's (which tbh is the person behind you's fault for driving to close/not paying attention, damn road rules!!). Not a problem for me since I sold my car :D

Taken from the gov site

"The Police may also use cameras to enforce speed limits and this is not governed by the same guidance on visibility."

its not all about the money though, you also get 3 points or even a ban its also about education of the speeding motorist,

yes it generates revenue, yes they are hated by people but i think you will find they are hated by the people who have been caught commiting an ILLEGAL act, (speeding)

i dont like cameras cause as we all know everyone speeds at times however should i be unfortunate enough to be caught i would not blame a metal box i would blame myself !

yes it generates revenue, yes they are hated by people but i think you will find they are hated by the people who have been caught commiting an ILLEGAL act, (speeding)

I disagree. I've never been caught speeding and I hate them :)

:rant:Read yesterday that the "rules have been changed".

What rules?

The rules that required speed cameras to be painted in a "visible" colour.

Can you tell us where this has been said?

I don't think that there has been any change in the law.

There never has been a law that says cameras should be brightly coloured/highly visible.

its not all about the money though, you also get 3 points or even a ban its also about education of the speeding motorist...

If they were effective at anything other than removing money from motorists, one would expect that the trend of accident rates falling before speed cameras were introduced would have continued - gained momentum even? In fact, accident rates (Killed or Seriously Injured - KSIs) since that time have increased. QED.....

To police the roads effectively, you need police.

I actually like speed cameras - they're dumb things that don't move. You can even get free sat nav updates to tell you where they are so you can avoid such 'accident blackspots' if you're that worried about them. ;) I'd prefer it if the SCPs and the governments would stop pretending they're anything remotely to do with road safety though - some are, but the VAST majority aren't.

Yep and there called safety cameras not "you haven't seen me till the last second now brake really harshly and cause an accident" camera's ."
so when you brake really hard and cause this accident it wont be your fault for speeding then ?

the accident wont be speed related ?

it will be the cameras fault for forcing you to brake harshly due to you exceeding the speed limit originaly