WHEELIE BINS - what's your excuse, why do you use it?

. , did you know that if global warming takes hold then in 20 years time, we will have hot summers, and no one wants that.

I can't wait 20 years for a hot summer; I want one now!:hihi:

I agree with recycling but I don't do it much - firstly I paid for the bin service via my council tax so I'll ruddy well use it; secondly they don't recycle my primary waste product which is used cat litter; and thirdly, I do not have the space to store used junk - I do not use the blue bin any more as it was impractical to keep it stored where it can be moved around.

But before anyone starts getting self-righteous they can have a look at themselves - I have a tiny carbon footprint because we never drive to work or take foreign holidays. We also re-use everything we can - the few plastic bags are used instead of bin bags, jars reused in the garden etc. So this white trash is entitled to create some trash ;)

I paid for the bin service via my council tax so I'll ruddy well use it;

That's one reason not to recycle I suppose!

That's one reason not to recycle I suppose!

What else does your £105 a month council tax go on if not the bins? Even if you never put your bin out you would still have to pay for it, so nobody should be put down for using their blummin wheely bin!!!

Just my opinion...

Its difficult to recycle on a regular basis if you don't have a car, which i don't. Instead, glass bottles just get piled up in my kitchen which means i can't even consider tins and plastic. The council should help out

Who gives a phuq?

The council empties my bin, the council provides my bin, I will put the crap which I do not want in my house in that bin.

Simple really.

I give a f... If only if WERE that simple. But what about what happens to that rubbish after the council has taken it away? It becomes EVERYONE'S responsibility because we pay the council for waste collection services. Unfortunately our council doesn't seem to want to do anything about it... (probably would be expensive and inefficient) the reality is - and no matter how much we want to bury our heads in the sand about it - is that we have to do something about NOW, or we really are 'phuqed'... and perhaps already are. What the hell, lets all commit mass suicide, that'll sort the problem out... no people = no rubbish :wink:

I agree that compost bins are the best, waste just rots away, had ours for going on 3 years and never emptied it! I thought it would smell, but when you take the lid off, just an earthy smell like a woodland. Bought from the council for about £8 incl delivery.

Its difficult to recycle on a regular basis if you don't have a car, which i don't. Instead, glass bottles just get piled up in my kitchen which means i can't even consider tins and plastic. The council should help out

I agree, we don't have transport either, means a trip to Waitrose carpark every so often, luckily we have a cellar so all glass & plastic & tins accumulate down there... if only they'd rot down in a composter!!! haha i'm dreaming! :hihi:

Ive just been staying in North Devon with my G'ma. She has recycling boxes (given to her by the council) for pretty much everything. Cans, Paper/card, Plastics, Glass and even garden waste!

On my last recycling trip I went to teh top of Brocco Bank (by the tennis courts) and they were full!!! Thats just not good enough in my opinion.

Yes! I went to Cornwall on holiday (near St Ives), they're very similar - bins for glass, tins and paper (but not plastic) and I thought Cornish councils were strapped for cash! Council is Penwith District Council.

Also agreed, thats what I meant about facilities in communities. I can't help but wonder why they don't make it condition of new housing developments to incorporate a recycling point. A cynic would say its because they're still paying for/justifying the incinerator.

I totally agree, all new housing should be so much more environmentally friendly. Vote Green Party at next election if you want that.

I have to have my bin emptied every week. And that is a struggle could do with it doing twice a week. I'v two children which means i use loads anyway.I had a blue bin so i could recycle paper but it got stolen off my garden by some dimwit. Aint a clue how to get another.Could do with one so my rubbish in my black bin is cut down. I hate wheelie bins they smell vile are a pain in the ass to clean. And are ugly.x

Some people are so inconsiderate, aren't they? How about calling the wheelie bin helpline, this is from the council website:

Q. My bin is missing/has been stolen - how do I get a replacement?

A. If any of your bins have been stolen or have gone missing then to obtain another you will need to telephone the Sheffield Council’s call centre number – 273 4567 – and press 1 to be connected to the Veolia Call Centre. Your call will then be transferred to the Veolia call centre where they will take your details and arrange for delivery of another bin.

This is also the process if your bin is damaged in any way, they'll replace it for you.

this is one of the many council recycling sites: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/waste-and-pollution/waste/householdwastefaqs#recycle1, you may find it useful. :)

To be fair, wheelie bins are very handy for getting rid of the remains of people who disagree with me on the forum......

I wondered what that funny smell was.

Some people are so inconsiderate, aren't they? How about calling the wheelie bin helpline, this is from the council website:

Q. My bin is missing/has been stolen - how do I get a replacement?

A. If any of your bins have been stolen or have gone missing then to obtain another you will need to telephone the Sheffield Council’s call centre number – 273 4567 – and press 1 to be connected to the Veolia Call Centre. Your call will then be transferred to the Veolia call centre where they will take your details and arrange for delivery of another bin.

This is also the process if your bin is damaged in any way, they'll replace it for you.

this is one of the many council recycling sites: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/waste-and-pollution/waste/householdwastefaqs#recycle1, you may find it useful. :)

Might do that, thanks for the link, but I only want a lid really- the bin is fine and I'd have to buy another tacky plastic murial of a beech hedge to disguise it with, if they replaced it.

I recycle what I can, freecycle and use a compost bin, but have to say my wheelie bin is a godsend and I'd be lost without it. Glad we have a blue bin too- I would hate to have to bag or box paper /cardboard up for a month and find somewher else to store it liek Rotherham residents have to.