Allotment offer!

We've been offered an allotment after a year's wait! We're going to see our site tonight and am very excited! :D Any recommendations for vegis to plant in the next month or so? I know I'm too late for a lot of things.

Hiya

hope it's a good un

try http://www.allotment.org.uk (hope that's right) for a month by month list, all depends on local conditions and how overgrown it all is

Might get away with late carrots, beets, turnips, kohl rabhi

Then there's spring cabbage, salads, spinach

More at that site.

In similar position - 2 weeks into my new allotment, just starting out - hopefully you will have inherited some stuff as well!

happy hunting

Vic

oooooo Carrots! Great! Thanks kindly for the advice! I hope it's nice too, but willing to dig if it's a mess! :)

Hi noodle,

If your in Hillsbrough area you should have come to join us all on the Hagg House site - there's loads of allotments free up there - needs a bit of imagination and hardwork to get going though !!!

I just planted some beetroot and carrots 2 weeks ago and they are coming on a treat !!

Good Luck

It's on Morley Street... thanks for the kind offer though! However... it's so much bigger than we thought! It's overgrown but not as bad as the plot next to it which is brambles and more brambles! I don't think we'll get to plant anything until next year but can't wait to start clearing! :D It is pretty sad that nearly all of the plots we went past weren't being used. Ours definitely hasn't been used in at least a year. Next door at least two or three by the extent of the brambles. :(

Try this site http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/. Like you I've just taken on an allotment and would like to get a few things going as I clear it.

Not had chance to look at this site properly but there's a bit titled 'this month' on the left and it looks like there are a few things that can be sown this time of year.

You can still sow things like rocket and salad leaves. Wont it be time for onions soon?

Hi noodle

Just to say good luck with your allotment. Unless you have loads of spare time dont expect to do it all at once. I've been steadily working down mine for almost 2 years and should finish this autumn/winter. Had great crops this year. For now try planting some carrots, beetroot, and lettuce. carrots and beetroot may not get very big but are really nice as "babys". Lettuce should grow quite quickly now

hi noodle

congratulations on getting your allotment. Morley Street is on the up and coming list and I know that the Allotments Office are trying to get them all let, however this is now a bit delayed because of all the additional work that is having to be done on the sites which were damaged and in one case devesteted by the recent floods.

Good luck with the clearing and I hope you enjoy your garden!

Thanks alot everyone. I'm going to have a blog so will post pics when we get going. It's very very exciting!