Baby signing

Yaz

Hi, I am trying to find out if anyone would be interested in baby signing classes in the Sheffield area? It is a method of communication for babies before they start to speak, and is a way of interpreting what your child is trying to say without the pressure of speaking. It also encourages speaking with the signing.

Any takers?

Cheers, Yaz

I remember seeing something about this a while ago on telly. Looked quite good and a frien dof mine managed to get some of it to work with her little boy despite not having much guidance.

If I had a baby I would be interested but my youngest is 2.

Moon Maiden

Whats wrong with the communication methods which we have used since the year dot. Forgive me for sounding cynical but this sounds just like a good way for somebody to make money.

I twould have been interesting to see if the signing my friend managed to teach her baby had heightened any intellectual part of him.

Unfortunately - in my honest opinion - certain aspects of her lifestyle and mother technique leave something to be desired and would probably have destroyed any other work.

Moon

Originally posted by Mo

Whats wrong with the communication methods which we have used since the year dot. Forgive me for sounding cynical but this sounds just like a good way for somebody to make money.

If we would have thought that since year dot, we never would have adapted cave man 'Ug's into 'Hello Darling Fancy drink before we go bopping in the disco'?

It's all about improving the way things are done and moving forward as a species. This includes the way we communicate!

Originally posted by DaBouncer

If we would have thought that since year dot, we never would have adapted cave man 'Ug's into 'Hello Darling Fancy drink before we go bopping in the disco'?

It's all about improving the way things are done and moving forward as a species. This includes the way we communicate!

Babies manage quite nicely thank you very much in communicating with adults. I can assure you that when you have children you are well aware when they are unhappy, uncomfortable, hungry, in pain etc.

The most productive thing you can do for any child to aid its development is to use our method of communication ie talk to him/her all of the time. None of this choo choo rubbish either.

I was impressed by the way the royal family bring their babies up, it was a programme on tv. and our Queen was talking to her grandchildren in an adult way.

That is the best way, instead of baby talk we should talk to them more sensible and they will understand quicker and be more mature.

Having said that, I have been guilty of talking to my children babyish when they were tiny, but they have grown up to be normal adults, so what does it matter?

Originally posted by Mo

Babies manage quite nicely thank you very much in communicating with adults. I can assure you that when you have children you are well aware when they are unhappy, uncomfortable, hungry, in pain etc.

The most productive thing you can do for any child to aid its development is to use our method of communication ie talk to him/her all of the time. None of this choo choo rubbish either.

So you think that as long as it works for you then we don't need to improve the way things are done and seek out new and IMPROVED ways of doing things!

You may rely on a sixth sense type to know when your baby wants feeding, changing or is happy, but others (such as those willing to open their minds in aid of improvement) want to be able to communicate directly with their babies. Thus taking away the need for a guessing and actually knowing!

I'm a big fan of sign language and different methods of communicating so I think this is a good idea!! Some of you are saying you should just stick with the communication used from year dot but what if your child can't communicate through speaking later in life or at all!? It's a good idea and I did it when I was younger and it's done a lot for me and my chose professoin.

Chloé

Archived