Owlerton dog races - Hillsborough

Thanks libuse when we do not agree with something we generally try not to become involved with it, just by going we are giving it our approval and backing as well as making it money. In an ideal world if we all stopped going to greyhound meets there would be no greyhound racing in this country as no-one would make any money, there would be no call for it.

This is a very emotive subject and one that is not well enough publicised i genuinely feel that if more people were aware of the true life of the majority of racing greyhounds in this country and especially abroad where standards are appaling then they would not support it with their presence and their money.

If you do want to go well it's your choice but make a donation to the Retired greyhound trust attached to the meet, their is one at Owlerton by the way and they do collect at the stadium.

What a stupid thing to say about kids. I have to kids and to say they want to go to the dogs is digusting.

chill out babe

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what was the breed originally bred to do?.. Was it to get rid of hares/rabbits on arable land?

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what was the breed originally bred to do?.. Was it to get rid of hares/rabbits on arable land?

I believe they are one of the earliest recorded species of dog and were bred by the Egyptians from around 3000BC. They were bred as hunting dogs, although I don't know whether this was mainly for sport or for food purposes - I'm sure I read it was sport? My concern now is that there are far far too many being bred than people actually want as pets, so when the racers retire the great majority of them are killed

A friend of mine used to have an ex-racing greyhound. His name was Flash. He was a lovely dog a real softie - he used to love racing with my alsatian - he always won of course but it was great seeing the dogs racing one another. Flash was a retired greyhound but hadn't been abused at all but was obtained via Owlerton Stadium.

I remember going to Owlerton every week with my dad when I was a young child and I just loved it- the smells and the atmosphere were great.

I have also been on a couple of 'Corporate' nights and actually handed a plaque to the trainer of one of the winning dogs - the dog, again, was just so lovely I could have taken him home with me. I think its wrong to say the MAJORITY of dogs are abused, I think that there may be some but the ones I have seen have all been well looked after.